Any miracles? Hitting hip: good pitcher to poor pitcher in 2 weeks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
In this shot, her torso is in a forward leaning orientation that is difficult to overcome:

At about 3 o'clock, try to feel like the hips are under, or just ahead of the shoulders to begin setting up the posture for plant:

(Ricketts might be a touch too much, but I think it's a good visualization to think about.)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
At plant, firm up and resist all upper body motion/forward effort and stay stacked in line with and behind the plant foot:

At this point in her development, resist forward and rotational effort after release:

All of these concepts can be reinforced during backchaining, with the exception of driving squarely to the target--that is for walk ins and full motion drive only. Up close with half or quarter whips, start at 45 and end at 45.

Last edited:

h8weakness

Bucket Dad
Jan 9, 2019
Mishawaka, IN
You're a huge help Ken, James and everyone else who's taken the time to discuss her pitching issues. There's a lot to work on here but she's not one who's afraid to put in the work. We'll get this fixed hopefully sooner than later.
Thank you all again!
I'll keep everyone updated as WE both learn how to pitch properly.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I just wanted to add on the thought of keeping the hips under the body. I agree she is off line with the drive and taking the hips away from the arm. The hips should stay under the body (upperbody). I think the mis guided effort to take the hips away from the arm and to the left while opening, creates the issue your having.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22