Teaching Hitting and the HIP COIL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Tim wasn't the kid that did all the damage for Uof L 5' 2" ? I know they had a bunch of players under 5' 5" I think my dd counted 11, made her feel good.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
I'll go ahead and commit what to many here, if not most, will consider blasphemy.

I think the hip coil is over-emphasized with young kids. People get obsessed with building a swing "from the ground" up. I feel there is very often, lower, more easily reached "fruit" to grab at when improving a young swing.

Sometimes I even feel people will be obsessed with hip coil because they think it makes them sound like they know what they are talking about, and that it will make their arguments unassailable.

I believe the Science of Hitting has something to do with it. Much of TSoH was written for at the very least a very gifted teen, if not a minor leaguer, trying to become a great hitter.

Yes absolutely hip coil is critical for an advanced swing. It is not critical for a young player. My DD has had outstanding results hitting in TB and we haven't even gotten around to fine-tuning the swing like that.

I agree here. I worked hard through my DD younger years teaching her hand path. I also emphasized pushing her weight forward off of her back foot. She was a more than capable hitter in 8u and 10u with basic movements.

She has moved into the 12u age group and her hitting needed "more". She now needs to learn how to load and drive forward to toe touch. We have incorporated a small stride emphasizing a push off of her back foot and driving the rear hip around toward the pitcher. It has been a difficult step for her. The timing changes and the feel of the swing has changed. She still has a tendency to revert back to what she has always done. But, when she swings with the load and hip turn, the results are night and day different. She is a stubborn kid that knows everything...but she is starting to see the benefits of loading and driving the rear hip around her body. Her last tournament she was 9/14 with two stand-up triples and a double. All balls were hard hit balls...jumping of her 2012 Xeno. I love seeing the smile on her face when her teammates are swarming her and giving her high fives after she blasts a ball.

She had a couple of swings that were reverts...swinging off of the back foot. She seems to do this more often on pitches on the outside corner or off the plate a bit. She hasn't quite gotten the feel of bending her hips and softening the knees yet. I figure one thing at a time.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
You have to wonder how well someone understands what a hip coil is, when they say that Jeter has a pronounced hip coil. I can't think of any MLB player that has a pronounced hip coil, or does anything other than the same basic action that the girls above do.

Wellphat..... no MLB player with a big hip coil????

Here is Jeter

Loadingthemiddle.gif

Teach this hip coil to a girl and see if she keeps her shoulders straight....
Your missing my point....

SL

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Size can make a big difference,if not then why are all the supposed good pitchers tall or big or both?Like I said that I knew that I was going to ruffle some feathers about what I said about CB , it is not meant as a put down , she is and was a awesome hitter.But you can get away with some flaws ,when you have more then normal strenghty.I have seen some really good hitters that have worked with Howard and CB,but also have seen some that are not good hitters, and have seen hitters just as good or better then ones that have worked with Howard & CB and some that are worse.I have seen your videos of your dd she is awesome,but that doesnt mean that there are other girls that are the same as her and learned from someone else.The video thing really isnt meant for you or SL anyways.

Its ok Nano you havent ruffled my feathers at all. Trust me Im a laid back easy kind of guy. The comment about the size of the hitters was what i was commenting on. Our cf at Valpo was 5.2 and was all region and led the team in doubles. The kid that went yard at Louisville was not any where near the biggest kid on the team. Is there a size stigma at D1? Of course there is. Does it mean she is the biggest stick on the team?. not by a long shot. our catcher was 5.5 and had way better stats than my dd had. Look at Schlopy for Ga. The kid couldent have been over 5.3 and was a beast with the stick.

Dont get hung up on size. Its Quality at bats that count not the size of the hitter taking the swings.

Tim

And by the way I agree with you that there are good and not so good hitters using every kind of style from every kind of instructor. Most of the arguments here are purely semantics in my book. Arguing hitting seems to be right up there with religion and politics. You will never change an emotional belief with logic.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
This quiet's him down for about 24hrs, then he seems to forget the request :)

nanotech14,
"POST SOME VIDEO OF YOUR STUDENTS OR DAUGHTERS MORE and LET US DECIDE!!!"
You will get blood from a turnip first!!! It's easy to talk a big game but when it comes down to it some fail miserably. Everyone knows who posts of there students or own DD and who doesn't.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
you dont know how to read do you!!! I was talking about how these guys go back in forth about this and that ,so why dont you quit trying to talk a big game and go back to OFC ,with the good old boys.I by the way am not a Hitting inst. and my dd is on here go look it up and pull your head out of your tin can,Iam just a parent just like most of the people on here just looking for good advice.By the way I did say that SL and Bouldersdad have video on here,boy you Ohio people stick together.

Apparently you need to reread my post! I was agreeing with you NANOTECH14

Jan 13, 2012
best place to learn hip coil is learning a good overhand throw.

I like a lot of the Hodge info for that for how upper body participates, avoiding premature external rotation of throwing arm, but also emphasis on getting/keeping lead arm INternally rotated.

Wolforth info is good, especially backward shaping drills.

Jaeger long toss is good.

The overhand throw arm action provides the right kind of uninterrupted resistance the hip and rear leg need to learn to support.

As usual, Tom is on the money.

Hip coil is essential. Crankermo knows it. His daughter... well let's just say her swing is very, very good.

Jan 13, 2012
You have to wonder how well someone understands what a hip coil is, when they say that Jeter has a pronounced hip coil. I can't think of any MLB player that has a pronounced hip coil, or does anything other than the same basic action that the girls above do.

Wellphyt..... no MLB player with a big hip coil????

Here is Jeter

Loadingthemiddle.gif

Teach this hip coil to a girl and see if she keeps her shoulders straight....
Your missing my point....

SL

Two things:
1. I'm almost entirely sure that's Soriano.
2. If her shoulders are moving, she isn't doing it correctly. Coil the hip. Not the shoulders.

No anatomical reason why a girl should be able to coil in her rear hip ONLY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00