Teaching Hitting and the HIP COIL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Wellphyt … some good points.

Very true that many issues, for both throwing and hitting, are synchronization related. TomG often made that point. It’s why many of us stress getting to a good sequence early on.

Also true that stressing the loading can lead to advantages. For example ... I find that one doesn’t need to stress a stride, because if you take care of the loading relative to the rear leg then you’ll have the desired action. If you followed the elongated thread at BBF, there was a theme suggesting that the swing was the load … the point being that the load transitions (sort of like a Kinetic link) and the loading is a big part of the overall swing.

Also true that “some kids do it right despite what gets taught.” A lot of the ladies I work with put a sincere effort into literally trying to extract what is being described … the issue being that many would likely extract what is taught from a bad drill. Still … some won’t, and when it comes to a bad drill, that is a good thing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Don't bring up Valpo to Tim. You are correct MESS UP! I have worked with Slaught and I know exactly why he doesn't like Mike. There are good and bad coaches in every sport. Just like those that read a book or watch RVP or a DVD think they understand what that person is saying, then they think they are an expert! I have found it is better to talk to the person to understand what they are trying to say, like I have found that the smart coaches know who to help them teach hitting. Interesting you bring up Alabama, I do know who they call! Here the OSU coach got fired, and had no clue how to teach. I worked with one of her players this weekend, and it was sad how bad it was. Coaches pick up a phone and know who to call. Even Don Slaught has those he calls for advice.

If you are referring to Oregon State University ... then what I've been told by the players is that Berg and Hirai are "the coaches". Their impact made the program real. The addition of three top level players, along with "the coaches", was the reason given for OSU's success this past season. At least that is what I'm being told from a player's perspective.

Oct 14, 2008
If you are referring to Oregon State University ... then what I've been told by the players is that Berg and Hirai are "the coaches". Their impact made the program real. The addition of three top level players, along with "the coaches", was the reason given for OSU's success this past season. At least that is what I'm being told from a player's perspective.

The Ohio State University

Jan 13, 2012
Some colleges actually teach arms first. One kid told me that their college coach didn't want 'stretch' in their swing ... she was instructed to resist bringing her hands back as she brought her hips forward. Coaches made her do a ton of drills to get her to stop loading her hands rearward .... then she wanted me to show her how to hit with that limitation.

Wow... talk about a swing killer. Probably would have been kinder to tell her not to have any movement below the waist.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
College coaches do tamper with, tinker with and totally fubar swings. I wish I had an insight as to why. If you recruit a kid for their swing and their production why on earth once you see they are successful at the college level would you even begin to tinker. If they cannot hit college level pitching then by all means your the coach do your job and do what you have to do. But good grief to make a total change for the sake of change? Come on coaches use common sense. Oops I forgot its college. Common sense and Academia are polar opposites.

Tim

Oh yes! Went with DD to d1 camp over winter, coach was very impressed with dd's swing, but "like her weight transfer, but too rotational for my taste." So it turned into half an hour of everyone ignored as coach figured out I knew more about the swing then he did and wanted to talk.....I don't know squat compared to Tim, ffs, well, and some others.
My point, and the coach's words "most of the girls already have it before they get here, so I try not to mess with it."

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
FFS agree on working with some college kids. I'm glad Laura is doing well at Oregon State U. My dd really enjoyed working with Berg she knows her stuff. She also loves playing jokes . Have a player ask her if she has ever swung an axe bat? Tim and I would get a chuckle out of her response.

I hear comments like this on the Rotional hitting sites all the time " that something is the "knob to the ball, push through contact" linear.

I have yet to hear it from Mike, Sue, Pat or Don Slaught. Not sure who or where this got started, but reading posts on the baseball sites, it would appear it is to make you believe a way of teaching is better . The one I love the best is they teach a level swing. I'm asked do you teach Rotational hitting or Linear hitting all the time. I could care less!

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves