Hitting hip and throwing inside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
what you are suggesting will open her hips some more during release, which I believe is the root of her issue. We will work on letting her glove naturally swing open some and let those shoulders stay more closed.
Yes, keep the hips open or close the shoulders more, at release. Those are basic mechanical observations, the solution, finding the way to make those adjustments is always the hard part. Sometimes just knowing what the issue is will allow a pitcher to 'self organize' and make the necessary changes. Best case scenario she finds her own solution, maybe she firms up the landing leg or gets the glove arm more involved or some combination.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
You might also look at this image. This is just before release. How could this ball properly get to the middle of the plate based on hand position (almost a rise/screw wrist position with that somewhat cupped wrist) how can the fingers get to a place to give proper 12/6ish push and internal forearm rotation? Practice those IR release drills outlined in the famous sticky thread on this site. Worth looking at.

View attachment 29322View attachment 29323
Absolutely agree, I've told her that the ball goes that way because she is literally releasing it to that spot. I will take a look at the sticky again. Thanks for your input!

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
Yes, keep the hips open or close the shoulders more, at release. Those are basic mechanical observations, the solution, finding the way to make those adjustments is always the hard part. Sometimes just knowing what the issue is will allow a pitcher to 'self organize' and make the necessary changes. Best case scenario she finds her own solution, maybe she firms up the landing leg or gets the glove arm more involved or some combination.
Understood, definitely something we're going to work on. I will update this post with her progress. Thank you!

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
One more comparison and one more suggestion and I will leave you to your working with your daughter.

The comparison Jordy Bahl compared to your daughter.

My suggestion. Forget about the hips shoulders and everything else because until you fix your arm action i.e. getting both arms to do the same thing circling together your daughter will never reach your full potential my opinion.

All high level players have both their throwing arm and glove arm in sync as they create the circle.

I took a quick look at what were considered some of the best NCAA pitchers over the past 20 years or so (youtube ).

All of them glove arm follow circle of throwing arm. Some much more compact than today's players such as Bahl, but that's what they do.

Makes (to me) all the sense in the world because it creates in my opinion the best dynamic sequencing and transfer of the body to the ball.

So if your daughters delivery ever was close to having her glove side synchronized to her throwing side that's what I would revert to and start from there.

Big part of the problem is with her current glove side arm action as it is now she's basically pointed toward home plate the entire time which in my opinion predisposes her to stay open with her shoulders which traps are arm behind her.

The other thing is you can try playing around with hips and shoulders but you will never get the dynamic return on her ability to throw and by dynamic return I'm talking about velocity and believe it or not spin and control. Reason is because she will be more efficient and if you're more efficient you can throw harder with less effort.

Hope this is of some help if not to you hopefully somebody else.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Or, if you want to try something radical have her lean over to the side and tilt like the men do, she's set up to be able to experiment with this, especially with her glove arm action and shoulder openness. If you have been following the other thread on 'shoulder position at release' you'll know what I mean.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
Or, if you want to try something radical have her lean over to the side and tilt like the men do, she's set up to be able to experiment with this, especially with her glove arm action and shoulder openness. If you have been following the other thread on 'shoulder position at release' you'll know what I mean.
Interesting, I'll check it out.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I agree with this idea if she wants to try it. Between the two threads, you can tell that the men are solving this issue with a lean.

Nov 9, 2021

The whole lean thing the men do has me really confused. My DD pitching coach spent a lot of time getting my DD to stop doing that. She still does it some and I am wondering if we should just leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
The way the men do it has to help deception. Batters can not see the arm or hand through the entire last half of the pitch.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The whole lean thing the men do has me really confused. My DD pitching coach spent a lot of time getting my DD to stop doing that.
I'm with you on this, as much time as I have spent looking at video of the best college pitchers I have never really examined what the men do, until the 'Shoulder" thread, now I'm wondering if I've missed something. What they do is radically different from I have always considered good technique.

But, how the heck do you teach this, and beyond that since it is experimental, can I, in good conscience, select a student and give it a go?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles