Teaching Hitting and the HIP COIL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Always trying to make yourself the KIA
Just like Howard saying your hand stack's over the elbow in the swing you turned it into perfectly vertical.

Read my first post, i say you teach a big hip coil to girls it mostly screw's other things up in their swing.

Weeephat says no MLB player has one? You say you dont teach coil, your mistaken...

What is your real agenda.....

How about that HEAVY BAT DRILL.... Any video?

SL

Howard's demonstration was improper and led to a false goal that negatively impacted the swing. We've covered that.

No one is recommending an excessive coil. Wellphyt has provided video to help make it clear the degree of coiling he is recommending. He's also suggesting that one of the greatest hitters of all time found it to be a significant contributor to his mechanics. Basically he's given people enough information for them to take the concept for a test drive and return with questions.

I have not said "dont teach coil". I said "If someone is suggesting that girls can't 'forward-by-coil' then they are mistaken." Very different.

The agenda, if there is one, is to help people.

What you refer to as a heavy bat drill has been described. If you know how to teach SnF then it shouldn't surprise you in the least. One of the parents that has their kid swinging a 27-oz bat this season in their games, reads posts on this forum ... and they believe you are missing some key concepts when they read that you find this to be a stretch ... they are hugely happy with their daughter's increased performance after graduating to a heavier bat. 8th grade ... and swinging a 27-oz barrel ... against high pitch speeds ... SnF is real.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
We got to work with straightleg last night and he showed us why a big hip coil screws up a swing. Would like to thank him for a good lesson and will make the trip again in a few weeks. Dd felt he explained everything and showed her how to correct her swing on her own.

Tqracer53. Who is recommending a "big hip coil"?

Why would anyone recommend a movement in excess?

Did he happen to show you how a proper hip coil led to improved timing and power? If so ... then you took away something of value.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Here are some girls swinging keyboards. Be sure to focus on how they turn their hips back before they turn them forward. Check out those back pocket zippers on the Georgia player's pants.

11lk5k2.gif

w015bm.gif

2lnqx1.gif

1z5801g.jpg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Howard's demonstration was improper and led to a false goal that negatively impacted the swing. We've covered that.
No you covered that and used the Hanson principal to cover it up especially from the back side of the power V verses from the side view.

We have found it easier to teach when viewed from the side while looking in a mirror.

Dr. Yeager and Howard communicated and he agreed with Howard that the elbow and hand would be some what aligned when viewed from the side and when viewed from behind a V.

How many kids did you having playing at the regional's last week?

Howard had four, one from Miami of Ohio, two from Valpro and one from Kentucky.

I think the hitters we teach have proven that what we teach works.
Just turn on ESPN

SL

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
No you covered that and used the Hanson principal to cover it up especially from the back side of the power V verses from the side view.

We have found it easier to teach when viewed from the side while looking in a mirror.

Dr. Yeager and Howard communicated and he agreed with Howard that the elbow and hand would be some what aligned when viewed from the side and when viewed from behind a V.

Just turn on ESPN

SL

Three things.

1. Softball allows you to be less efficient. -12 bats and 200 foot fences allow it. You can use a mediocre swing and still hit well.
2. Coil is necessary. Not optional. As Wellphyt has pointed out, there is no such thing as an "individual coil". All high-level hitters coil in the hip socket. You don't coil with the shoulders, unless you want to have waist separation. (I speak from experience regarding coiling with the shoulders)
3. It's not a matter of who has kids playing at what level. It's a matter of information. Saying that hip coil is unnecessary or causes the shoulders to move too much is inaccurate, regardless of who is giving out the information.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Three things.

1. Softball allows you to be less efficient. -12 bats and 200 foot fences allow it. You can use a mediocre swing and still hit well.
2. Coil is necessary. Not optional. As Wellphyt has pointed out, there is no such thing as an "individual coil". All high-level hitters coil in the hip socket. You don't coil with the shoulders, unless you want to have waist separation. (I speak from experience regarding coiling with the shoulders)
3. It's not a matter of who has kids playing at what level. It's a matter of information. Saying that hip coil is unnecessary or causes the shoulders to move too much is inaccurate, regardless of who is giving out the information.

1. Your opinion depends on the pitching
2. Ok - never said you dont need a coil
3. refer to number 2

SL

Oct 14, 2008
Three things.

1.. -12 bats and 200 foot fences allow it. You can use a mediocre swing and still hit well.

1) Softball allows you to be less efficient: If thats the case why the heck do we even discuss hitting to begin with I thought the idea was to emulate elite level swings.
2) Coil is necessary. Not optional. Yada Yada Yada good lord give it a rest. Its nothing more than a negative to a positive. Its not rocket science or the holy grail, It is the effect of 2 different movements.
3)It's not a matter of who has kids playing at what level. It's a matter of information: Are you serious. If we try to emulate the high level swings. The HC/Bustos swing has produced a load of hitters. I have yet to see anyone on this board produce the type or amount of hitters that his nucleus is responsible for. The only time information seems to be important is when it agrees with the side that constantly hides behind clips and and 40 year old writings of baseball experts. Using a time old addage of its impossible to disprove a negative so instead of showing what we can or have accomplished lets keep re hashing the same old crap that no one on this planet can ever hope to agree on.

Its really pretty simple. Those that can get it done do it. Any thing else is just talk.

Tim

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Just turn on ESPN

SL

What you say above is a bit misleading.

Doc does not agree with this ....

15zrqk4.jpg

He is not speaking of a near perfect vertical forearm, well displaced from the torso, when he speaks of stacking. Doc frequently supports what he does with video ... he often satisfies the Hanson Principle in his presentation and descriptions. In nearly 20 DVDs I have from him, he has not demonstrated or advocated what we see in the above photo.

Teaching this will create swing issues.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Sorry to say SL is correct. Doc called and discussed it with Howard. Just like anything, what someone thinks is different than what they are doing first hand when you are there. I'm finding it really funny that all the baseball posters are now slowly coming to this site to post. Some I wish would stay on baseball and argue about how great Rotational hitting is, but it says a bunch about DFP being a good product. I guess they are bored with arguing on the other sites.. I just hope this site doesn't become like the baseball sites, since 90% of it is all arguments trying to out type the other guy. Ken had to boot a few the last time it started and they went back to Hi. Just post facts and support it,if you give advice, we all have opinions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves