Teaching Hitting and the HIP COIL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Two things:
1. I'm almost entirely sure that's Soriano.
2. If her shoulders are moving, she isn't doing it correctly. Coil the hip. Not the shoulders.

No anatomical reason why a girl should be able to coil in her rear hip ONLY.

You teach jeters hip coil to girls?

SL

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Two things:
1. I'm almost entirely sure that's Soriano.
2. If her shoulders are moving, she isn't doing it correctly. Coil the hip. Not the shoulders.

No anatomical reason why a girl should be able to coil in her rear hip ONLY.

Yes ... that is Soriano and not Jeters.

If someone is suggesting that girls can't 'forward-by-coil' then they are mistaken.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Yes ... that is Soriano and not Jeters.

If someone is suggesting that girls can't 'forward-by-coil' then they are mistaken.

Read my first post, i say you teach a big hip coil to girls it mostly screw's other things up in their swing.

Whelphat says no MLB player has one? You say you dont teach coil, your mistaken...

How about that HEAVY BAT DRILL.... Any video?

SL

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2012
We got to work with straightleg last night and he showed us why a big hip coil screws up a swing. Would like to thank him for a good lesson and will make the trip again in a few weeks. Dd felt he explained everything and showed her how to correct her swing on her own.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
We got to work with straightleg last night and he showed us why a big hip coil screws up a swing. Would like to thank him for a good lesson and will make the trip again in a few weeks. Dd felt he explained everything and showed her how to correct her swing on her own.

Kevin.
It was a pleasure to work with your DD. She is a fast learner and a big plus is, she is strong.
Good combination.
I can see her hitting line drives out into the grass.

Experience, timing the pitcher, with the different speeds and tracking the ball will be her goals.
She has the power to make a pitcher nervous. :D

Be happy to try and help you any time in the future.

SL

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
The question asked in the original post was:

"So the big question???? How BIG of a hip coil do you teach."

I would never teach hip coil in the context of SIZE, and it strikes me as odd that anyone would even think of the hip coil in that context. Williams talked about the hip coil in the context of WHAT it is, WHY you do it, and WHEN to do it. That's how I teach it. When the hip coil is taught correctly within the framework of a proper sequence where the upper body loads correctly, players cannot over coil in the manner that is being discussed here, where the shoulders turn back with the coil.

Suggesting that excessive backward shoulder turn is caused by too BIG of a hip coil, shows a lack of understanding of how hitters load their upper and lower body. If a player is turning their shoulders back excessively, it's because they don't load their upper body correctly; it's not because their hip coil is too BIG.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
You have to wonder how well someone understands what a hip coil is, when they say that Jeter has a pronounced hip coil. I can't think of any MLB player that has a pronounced hip coil, or does anything other than the same basic action that the girls above do.

Wellphat..... no MLB player with a big hip coil????

Here is Jeter

Loadingthemiddle.gif

Teach this hip coil to a girl and see if she keeps her shoulders straight....
Your missing my point....

SL

I know exactly what your point is; and my point is that if you think a girl can't coil like Soriano and not keep her shoulders straight, then you don't understand the difference between how the upper and lower body load. The hip coil does not turn the shoulders back if a proper sequence and hand load are used. That's not my opinion, it's an anatomical fact.

You are blaming the hip coil for something that is not the fault of the hip coil.

144jgi.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Tim wasn't the kid that did all the damage for Uof L 5' 2" ? I know they had a bunch of players under 5' 5" I think my dd counted 11, made her feel good.

That pitch was thrown right in her wheel house. She was definatly not one of the bigger players and diddnt need to be with that big old fatty crossing the plate.

Oct 19, 2009
IMO,you all are right and you all are wrong!! I think you guys need to all start posting your students on here and let us see what they do right and what they do wrong.FFS ,Wellphyt ,you guys seem to be in the same camp from what I read,do I think your wrong about what you say? NO NOT AT ALL ,but do I think you are right about everything you say? NO NOT AT ALL,you can learn just as much from those in the other camp. STL, Bouldersdad do I think your right or wrong? NO NOT AT ALL,the part that gets me about you guys is the Howard thing, from what I have seen and heard,he is a real good teacher.But I dont think he knows everything? NO NOT AT ALL.I have seen really good hitters that dont go to him.Iam sorry for what Iam about to say,but Bustos yes was a great hitter,but her pure size alone can make up for a lot of flaws.I still like to look at the normal size girls,that hit with power,like Megan Bush is one good example that my daughter and I look at.POST SOME VIDEO OF YOUR STUDENTS OR DAUGHTERS MORE and LET US DECIDE!!!

I totally agree that size and strength can hide a lot of flaws as my daughter is a big strong girl, but if you studying Bustos swing as I have the smoothness, how she flows to the ball and the results are more than size and power IMO. It is the result of proper mechanics, working in rhythm with your body and years of hard work. I know a lot of big strong women who couldn’t hit a grapefruit, in a diaper league.

IMO anyone who credits Bustos results to size and power are missing the point (NO OFFENCE). I see the big strong girls fail against the faster pitchers a lot, but Bustos hit them as well or better that most /all of the smaller athletic players and seeing some of the pitch location she crushed the ball at it is unbelievable. IMO the larger girls reaction time is less due to moving a larger mass and proper mechanics are more essential for them that the small quick girls.

My daughter being a big girl is not as athletic as some of the smaller kids, I started having my daughter use the information by Howard and she attended a Bustos clinic and learning the mechanics taught and explained by them enabled her to realize her potential.

The best training in the world is not going to make a difference unless the student applies themselves and they need to believe in the system. In a class room all students get the same information, only some get A’s while some get F’s.

As far as coaches go they are The Bad, The Good and The Best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207