Screwball Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Edy

May 24, 2010
The speed is ridiculous and the form couldn't be worse..

But the movement is there...

2j4dg0p.jpg

Edy

May 24, 2010
Like an off speed screw. I'd love to play around with that pitch.

this is great...can you post a full clip to youtube? I'd like to play around with the video a bit to see how you do it.

Sure! I'll be glad to share the full clip (hopefully tonight)
Actually, I only get this weird screwball to work at low speeds.. and the trick is about finger pressure. I don't try to "cut" the ball inside or twist the wrist. I just release it with a very loose wrist and a tight grip.

The grip is almost identical to a split-finger. Put the index and middle finger along the horseshoe and force them to split out.
Most of the times you'll get a bullet spin but once in while the magic happens.

One last thing, to achieve the right angle and avoid the bullet spin the index finger should be the last finger touching the ball at release.
I'll try to make a video about the grip too

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The grip is almost identical to a split-finger. Put the index and middle finger along the horseshoe and force them to split out. Most of the times you'll get a bullet spin but once in while the magic happens.

So how many bullet spin pitches do you hang down the middle of the plate before you get one to work?

Edy

May 24, 2010
So how many bullet spin pitches do you hang down the middle of the plate before you get one to work?

Usually none.. I simply don't use it in games.
I'm still struggling to get it to work consistently.

If I can dominate it someday then I'll put it in the list! ;)

Anyway, guys were asking for a ball breaking to the right, this ball IS breaking to the right.
I'm not throwing it straight across the line as an inside pitch which IMO is not a screw (but many people call it though..).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet