Screwball Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Could you elaborate? are you saying that there is no such thing as screwball action at all and they are just thrown as outside in fastballs?

Oh krahp... Glad you went there and not me! Been there...

I feel for ya man!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Ken, I think you pretty much "hosed" this thread when you asked for a Screwball that "BREAKS"..........

A screwball is like a sideways riseball........It doesn't "BREAK" any more then a rise ball "BREAKS".........

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
BoardMember,
I truly believe there are probably pitchers out there who can throw a true, breaking screwball. I realize that I'm running uphill into a headwind if you, CoachFP and others have done their best to convince me otherwise. The fact remains that I've heard a bajillion times from pitchers and CBD's (crazy bucket dads) that the screwball is alive and well. Like Big Foot, we're just waiting for the camera to be in the right place, at the right time... Then, we can finally put this story to rest.

Meanwhile, I have an appointment with Suzette to get my nails done for my next grip pic. Please text when the video is posted.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ken, I think you pretty much "hosed" this thread when you asked for a Screwball that "BREAKS"..........

A screwball is like a sideways riseball........It doesn't "BREAK" any more then a rise ball "BREAKS".........

I've actually seen a "screw" break back over the plate! Wish I could remember what her CBD was yelling out to her as he was shooting speeds with his Bushnell!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Curveball seems to curve a little though. Just more RPM's?

The curve exists. No doubt about it.

I can visualize what needs to happen to make a screw break/move, but the reality is less than convincing.

My favorite curve video:

Don't miss the two drops he throws at the end. Crazy spin.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
C'mon, Ken! My DD gets all her pitches to break. Amazing RPM's on the rise, screw, crop.....

Of course, those RPM's are curiously proportionate to my REM's at about 3 am......:cool:

Sincerely,
CBD

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
r7rn1c.jpg

Ted Lilly warming up..

The only breaking pitch I don't believe in is the riseball breaking up. all other breaks that don't have to fight gravity are possible. May wreck your elbow/wrist but they can break.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
IMO, the effectiveness of the screwball has more to do with the angle of the pitch (most RHP jump to the left and throw to right, inside) than the actual break of the pitch since most screwballs have 2/8 spin (as seen by the catcher) instead of 3-9 spin. With that said, all things being equal, if a ball has 2-8 spin its is going to break in to a right handed batter somewhat vs a ball with 10-4 spin that will break away from a right-handed batter. The big questions a) is the break of the screwball negligible and b) does the rotation of the ball when it contacts the bat have an effect on the effectiveness of the pitch (i.e. jams the batter, weak grounders) even if the movement isnt great.?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Yeah, what Rocketech said. Most of the "break" happens when the ball is still in the pitcher's hand. Sometimes several feet of "break". Once the ball is released if the spin is good it may drift a few inches, but I've never seen it "break" as in it goes straight and then moves like a good curve does. The angle is what fools the batter, even when it's used backdoor against a lefty. The pitcher sells it as an outside pitch and then throws it in, it's all smoke and mirrors.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish