Looking for Position Responsibilities Diagram

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2024
Hi everyone, I’m trying to find a diagram or chart that shows each position (10 fielder if possible) “areas of responsibility” with overlaps to help our team understand what their roles are.

Too often we see a ball between fielders where they’re standing there looking at each other expecting the other player to get or go after the ball when both could have made the play. I know I may end up having to create my own, I haven’t found anything with quick searches.

Also, if anyone has any charts that show “finding work” that each player can do on each play (backing up throws, communication, where do I go? type information) that would be beneficial too (or point me where to go).

Thanks for any help!

-Jay

Aug 1, 2019
MN
As far as fielders figuring out who should get a 50/50 ball in the air, make sure they understand field position numbers, then a good rule of thumb is the higher number fielder should make the play, with the lower number fielder as a backup. You can make arguments of 8 over 9 when your 8 is the best outfielder.

Jun 11, 2013
You don't say how old the players are but if they are young the best thing to learn is that you do something when the ball is hit. At first they might backup the wrong base or not cover but at least it gets them moving. The other big thing is that you should go for every ball that's in your area. We don't want the F5 trying to field a ball to fist but if it's between 2 fielders they both go until someone calls it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ball, Base, Backup

- If I can field the ball I should try to
- If I can't, do I have a base to go to?
- If I don't have a base, where do I backup?

Keeps it nice and simple. No hard decisions or lots of things to remember especially for the younger age groups.
Teach them that and they can play any position and have something to move on with any ball in play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles