Role of the front leg in hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like the front leg is important to the swing. But beyond getting to toe touch and heal plant on time there's not a whole lot to discuss
I agree and dare I say you don't even need your front leg....
2lsbpfc.jpg

OH... Come on you know the one legged golfer was going to show up....:p

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I agree. How many believe that pitch location ( outside/inside) determines the amount of body rotation? Outside pitch not as much, therefore the front leg should not open as much.

grandpa, when adjusting to a pitch in your zone would you have more control and power with 2 legs supporting or 1?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Cabrera_062613_combo.gif

Is the front leg straightening (active) or being straightened (passive) by the actions on the back side of the body?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Cabrera_062613_combo.gif

Is the front leg straightening (active) or being straightened (passive) by the actions on the back side of the body?

Both legs are activated by the swing. So both are passive until.. IOW's let the middle control the sequence to avoid the COM shifting from one side of the body to the other.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2013
grandpa, when adjusting to a pitch in your zone would you have more control and power with 2 legs supporting or 1?

Are you taking about weight being distributed between the legs equally before launch?
I think for most it's a no teach, I'm talking about front leg rotation into foot plant. If landing closed and the position of the front leg made it difficult for the hips to clear that's a different story.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Are you taking about weight being distributed between the legs equally before launch?
I think for most it's a no teach, I'm talking about front leg rotation into foot plant. If landing closed and the position of the front leg made it difficult for the hips to clear that's a different story.

I guess I am referring to 1 leg being the driver vs both legs supporting. I also believe its a no teach as well... As long as the middle is controlling it. Like I said above putting the feel in one leg promotes a shift from one side of the body to the other which of course is slow.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
There has been so much focus on the rear leg and hip. What is the role of the front foot, leg and hip?
Yes, some were "focused" on just the rear hip. Most of those folks probably never really thought of it that way, but now it's a must for them. They believe in just using 1 leg/1 hip....

For the rest of us, we were talking about 2 hips all along. They will try to deny that the front hip is turning over - independent of the rear hip.... But, even TomG is saying IR/ER/IR of the front hip:
So the lead leg has to participate in abducting and flexing to then fire the spine engine with aDduction and extension. It also ER's to efficiently catch the body with IR
Too bad Tom won't admit the rear hip's function. But I suppose they are way to deep to turn that one around.
CDavisJabroni.gif

And P, pay attention to the bold. Remember the comment you made about me shouting at you, Mud and Noon? The front hip does complete to IR.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi