Torn labrum in hip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
I’m not sure how many patients he still sees- but this amazing Boston doctor did a somewhat new double knee surgery on me when I was swimming D1 and here I am old enough to have a teenager and still skiing double black bumps on the weekends.

He helped me time it all out to minimize impact on my season and school work too. (He had to be talked into doing both at once- but it allowed me to be back for most of the competitive season and swimming best times instead of missing a full season doing them separately- it was a growth problem that impacted both knees).

But I assume anyone at children’s is probably awesome. Definitely get snobby about doctors. I’ve also heard not so great stuff about cortisone.
Not sure about Children’s but 4 of DDs friends and one of her roommates have had surgery at Mass General. 3 ACLs (2 softball players, 1 dancer), 1 Tommy John and 1 ankle torn tendons & ligaments (basketball). All are back playing their sports and recovered well.
My husband also had surgery at Mass Gen for a tumor in his spinal column that no other surgeon was willing to touch because of location. He does have some mobility/balance issues post surgery but not removing it would have led to complete paralysis from the waist down.

May 13, 2023
My husband also had surgery at Mass Gen for a tumor in his spinal column that no other surgeon was willing to touch because of location. He does have some mobility/balance issues post surgery but not removing it would have led to complete paralysis from the waist down.
Yikes! Good to read your husband was able to find help for that situation!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Yikes! Good to read your husband was able to find help for that situation!
Thanks. It was a production for sure but his surgeon is amazing and doesn’t take cases that he feels won’t have a positive outcome.
I’ll take him having mobility issues over full paralysis.

Sep 13, 2021
MRI with contrast Thursday, Dr will start some pain management as early as Friday to help her get through the season.....management of her participation at practice and games has helped, as have sessions with the trainer.....we will schedule post season surgery once we have results

Meanwhile, she's still moving ok.....https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...L3deSiaSLVl&id=61556758765298&mibextid=v7YzmG
Good news. Hindsight being 20-20 and as an ex-athlete/meathead now in his 50s with a body that is beat all to hell, I'd wish for all our athletes to take good care of themselves, and to prioritize mobility, icing/heat, good sleep and nutrition and rest, now and to keep that up for the rest of their competitive lives and beyond, if necessary. The advancements in surgical procedures and joint replacement appliances are pretty amazing nowadays, but I can attest that maintaining stock parts for the duration is much preferred.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles