Role of the front leg in hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 28, 2012
Posey_nofrontleg.gif

Noontime drive by! Have fun storming the castle!

Aug 28, 2012
Why is the front leg blocked out? Wouldb't he fall down if there was no front leg? Much different action from the golfer and hies whip lashing head.

How would you design a prosthetic leg to suit Posey's need? What would it's function be?

May 3, 2014
One that acted as a real leg would - why would it need to function any differently? You also believe the lead leg is dead and just catches and blocks?

How would you design a prosthetic leg to suit Posey's need? What would it's function be?

Aug 28, 2012
You're a 1-legger Noon?

3 legger. :)

From what I have seen there is more bad than good coming out of an active front leg. For the purposes of getting someone in sequence and breaking down or rebuilding a swing I think there is value in isolating the rear leg. Said another way, most of my "instruction" would focus on "do this" with the rear leg, and most instruction with the front leg if needed, is more of a "don't do this" type. Once you have proper action with the rear leg / hip then do whatever you want with the front leg but I think you get 99% of the way there if you just have the front leg as a swing catcher. So if you want to put me in a box you can put me in the 1 leg camp I suppose.

Aug 28, 2012
One that acted as a real leg would - why would it need to function any differently? You also believe the lead leg is dead and just catches and blocks?

I see Socratic inquiry ain't your bag. I went with a telescoping segmented rod that would initially trigger on some kind of forward press and be calibrated to retract during the gather and coiling and extend to catch the swing with a shock absorber like compression between segments. I wonder if you could put sensors in the handle connected to the various mechanics of the prosthetic.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
From what I have seen there is more bad than good coming out of an active front leg.
This swing catcher is not active?
MiggyFHER.gif

I see knee extension, abduction and external rotation... So how "inactive" does the front hip/leg need to be?

but I think you get 99% of the way there if you just have the front leg as a swing catcher.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah