rear elbow down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
How much does he use his hands in this swing..What makes the bat go backwards
Like some opinions

SL

Original question...above

Red in the past I thought I heard you say the arms and hands don't push the bat backwards. Am I wrong on that?

SL

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Originally Posted by rdbass

I agree.

Elbow up or down is 'style'. It just depends on what 'style' helps/suits the hitter. Elbow up is the 'style' that DD prefers
=straightlegHow much does he use his hands in this swing..What makes the bat go backwards
Like some opinionsSL

Red
Just asking your view on hands being loaded. I did not mention anything about barrel turn....

So sorry I thought it was a question to rdbass...
giphy.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Red
Just asking your view on hands being loaded. I did not mention anything about barrel turn....

SL

Sorry, I thought you meant the top of the bat, not the handle area.

I think the hands can load back SOME per the arms...some rock the U...some hand tip...and some torso/core turning back around. A combo of these. Slack removal. I like an idea of keeping the hands near the rear shoulder. Tight V in the rear arm, 90 degree in the front. Kind of more, you might say 'connected'. Now the hands can and will push back away some, I just prefer to keep that minimal, and definately keep hands inside of rear elbow.
Helps with having a tight hand pivot point. Helps prevent an arm bar and long loopy arm swing. I like it to be slack removal, not a running start for the arms.

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I've been working with the split grip getting good results. Scratched my head for a while as to why the split grip would force a good pattern. I've settled on It helps several flaws in the swing, not just one particular flaw. It helps with several of the issues you posted in this comment.
Keeping the hands inside the rear elbow, angles in the elbows and wrists, proper direction of the top hand wrist, and more... I'm going to add it to my drill thread soon.

Sorry, I thought you meant the top of the bat, not the handle area.

I think the hands can load back SOME per the arms...some rock the U...some hand tip...and some torso/core turning back around. A combo of these. Slack removal. I like an idea of keeping the hands near the rear shoulder. Tight V in the rear arm, 90 degree in the front. Kind of more, you might say 'connected'. Now the hands can and will push back away some, I just prefer to keep that minimal, and definately keep hands inside of rear elbow.
Helps with having a tight hand pivot point. Helps prevent an arm bar and long loopy arm swing. I like it to be slack removal, not a running start for the arms.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I've been working with the split grip getting good results. Scratched my head for a while as to why the split grip would force a good pattern. I've settled on It helps several flaws in the swing, not just one particular flaw. It helps with several of the issues you posted in this comment.
Keeping the hands inside the rear elbow, angles in the elbows and wrists, proper direction of the top hand wrist, and more... I'm going to add it to my drill thread soon.

Split Grip:
t8ntw0.gif

It ELIMINATES SPINAL ROTATION....ELIMINATES BOTH HIP AND SHOULDER ROTATION....It FORCES you to turn the barrel and BYPASS shoulder rotation....which is a must....if you want to reach the high level pattern.

It FORCES an 'out from' path....the pinwheel.

It FORCES....two pivot points....instead of spinal rotation.

It ELIMINATES the merry go round.....a must.
2vamnv4.gif

I will add it helps a hitter 'feel' the use of both hands working. Both hands doing what 'each' hand needs to do and is doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi