rear elbow down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
How much does he use his hands in this swing..What makes the bat go backwards
Like some opinions

SL

High pitch and timing is going to show more "to the ball" in the turn the barrel to the ball. Here is another angle of what I think is the same pitch.
kent_side.gif

Here is a bit lower pitch that makes the hand use and barrel turn much more easy to see.
Kent_SF_side.gif

Just watching this one can't help but squeeze my forearms and get the feel of turning the barrel. Try to feel.
Kent_SF_close.gif

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Kinsler I have said for years is a great model for girls. I have seen one girl that swings similar. I don't work with her, but a girl on her team. I described her as 0-100 in .2 seconds. Doesn't ever really look like she is going to swing, and before you know it the ball is in the outfield. I have a girl that swings similar to Kinsler, but has trouble with the mind body connection. She can think/know that her hands need to be higher, but her body just won't do it.
Kinsler_side2.gif

One thing I would like to point out in Kinsler is his toe touch to swing. You will see most kids copying this will have a toe touch, stop, then swing. Look at all the gifs of Kinsler….] http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/baseballgifs/library/Kinsler?sort=3&page=1 all though small movement, there is no pause, he is forward by coil the whole time.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
AND….all the swings above, look at their sequence. All have overlap. Non all back all forward. No, as nearly all college coaches will say……A NEGATIVE MOVE BEFORE A POSITIVE MOVE. Bull. They have overlap, separation, loading into the unload, stretch, what ever you want to call it, but the main point is that it isn't the whole body going back to push the whole body forward.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
High pitch and timing is going to show more "to the ball" in the turn the barrel to the ball. Here is another angle of what I think is the same pitch.
kent_side.gif

Here is a bit lower pitch that makes the hand use and barrel turn much more easy to see.
Kent_SF_side.gif

Just watching this one can't help but squeeze my forearms and get the feel of turning the barrel. Try to feel.
Kent_SF_close.gif

Looks like they physically load the hands and arms back..Is that the way you see it?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
kent_side.gif

Kent_SF_side.gif

Kent_SF_close.gif

Kent most definitely works the barrel. It isn't like he bypasses the turning of the barrel simply because his rear elbow isn't raised as high.

For some, it was Kent's low-elbow swing that convinced them of the barrel turning action in the swing ... it was their light bulb moment.

9lesdt.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
AGonDerr.gif

Hitter on the left 'turns the barrel to the ball' Ritnnnnow. Hitter on the right turns the barrel beside him.

Agree that the hitter on the left works the barrel 'Ritnnnnow'. Not sure what is meant by "turns the barrel beside him". IMO the difference is that the swing on the left has the rear elbow slot, in part, because the hands are "working the barrel" .... whereas the swing on the right first slots and then works the barrel. Maybe that is what you mean by "turns the barrel beside him"?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi