rear elbow down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
"Elbow Up" is not an absolute. Many hitters keep their elbow up because that's the way they were taught. Many coaches taught to keep the back elbow up because if the back elbow stays up, the hands stay up. Where the hands reside is much more important than the back elbow being in the up position.

My personal experience says that the back elbow impacts the path of the hands. When playing slow-pitch, I raise my back elbow when I want to stay on top of the ball. If I want a fly ball, my back elbow goes down a bit. Initially, my DD's stance had the back elbow up. Over the last couple of years, I've dropped her elbow, with more well hit OF shots as a result.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My personal experience says that the back elbow impacts the path of the hands. When playing slow-pitch, I raise my back elbow when I want to stay on top of the ball. If I want a fly ball, my back elbow goes down a bit. Initially, my DD's stance had the back elbow up. Over the last couple of years, I've dropped her elbow, with more well hit OF shots as a result.

If I want a fly ball, my back elbow goes down a bit
I would bet the rear shoulder dropping had more effect on your 'fly balls' then your rear elbow 'slotting'.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
"Elbow Up" is not an absolute. Many hitters keep their elbow up because that's the way they were taught. Many coaches taught to keep the back elbow up because if the back elbow stays up, the hands stay up. Where the hands reside is much more important than the back elbow being in the up position.
I agree- both are styles, neither are absolute . Up or down, I have them keep the roof of the house at 90 like Crystl teaches.

I have taught younger players to keep the back elbow up when they were otherwise getting no negative motion at the load or struggled with what to do with their elbows during the swing. It was easier for them to keep the roof of the house intact to contact. I wouldn't require it, I just found a lot of kids benefitted from this.

On the other hand, I know a coach who played DI and she insists that the batters keep their elbows down. with younger players i have seen this going directly into bat drag. Also coaches teach this because they say "there isn't enough time in softball to load", resulting in some really weak swings, proving to those coaches that girls just aren't good enough to swing correctly.

at the end of the day, whichever method is used depends on what works best for the batter to get the bat to optimum contact with the ball as quickly as possible.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I would bet the rear shoulder dropping had more effect on your 'fly balls' then your rear elbow 'slotting'.

Perhaps, but the rear shoulder drops on any swing that's not a sharp downward chop. Ultimately, the path of the hands determines how the ball comes off the bat.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I agree.
kent0809side.gif

Elbow up or down is 'style'. It just depends on what 'style' helps/suits the hitter. Elbow up is the 'style' that DD prefers

I like this set up and swing

SL

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Her like my daughter raise it on the load.

SL

Thats exactly the way I teach... elbows will start relaxed and "roof" in a neutral position (hands inside the rear shoulder). Its durring the stride/linear phase we draw hands back (approx. even with or slightly behind the rear shoulder) with a slight elbow raise causing the barrel tip forward.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
elbow

Her like my daughter raise it on the load.

SL

Thats exactly the way I teach... elbows will start relaxed and "roof" in a neutral position (hands inside the rear shoulder). Its durring the stride/linear phase we draw hands back (approx. even with or slightly behind the rear shoulder) with a slight elbow raise causing the barrel tip forward.
This is how dd did it up until about 2 months ago when her coach said he'd like it higher. It doesn't seem to matter to her either way though.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I was just hunting for elbow down high level hitters, I really had a pretty tough time finding any. Encarnacion is definitely one.
Encarnacion_side.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi