Question about a hitting "style".

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
Okay .... sounds like you are talking about a no-stride approach.

While I disagree with mandating such an approach, it doesn't mean it won't work. You'll sometimes see Cabrera going back to a no-stride approach.

2qbtx4x.gif

2w2j4ld.gif

Many HS's play this game at a fairly low-level. In a sense, it can be thought of as an older age group of LL. Some HS coaches simply believe that it is easier to make contact without a stride.

Okay, this is more like it, minus the pivoting of both the feet, hips stay almost completely open throughout swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Okay, this is more like it, minus the pivoting of both the feet, hips stay almost completely open throughout swing.

Let's view the following clip .....

2qbtx4x.gif

Focus on the rear leg. Pay special attention to the rear upper leg portion as well as the rear foot. Which leads the action? In terms of the pivoting action that I believe you are attempting to describe, is the rear foot a leader or follower here? To me it is more of a follower. The lower rear leg is serving as more of a 'post'.

Now let's look at the front foot. Once 'planted' it tends to maintain a resistive functionality. Notice the dirt being kicked forward.

Oct 22, 2009

2qbtx4x.gif

Focus on the rear leg. Pay special attention to the rear upper leg portion as well as the rear foot. Which leads the action? In terms of the pivoting action that I believe you are attempting to describe, is the rear foot a leader or follower here? To me it is more of a follower. The lower rear leg is serving as more of a 'post'.

Now let's look at the front foot. Once 'planted' it tends to maintain a resistive functionality. Notice the dirt being kicked forward.

In

Also in watching him and watching her, you see how his weight is still back (during swing) over his rear leg and he's resisting with his front.
What she does is shift hips and weight over and almost line up over the front leg with the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In

Also in watching him and watching her, you see how his weight is still back (during swing) over his rear leg and he's resisting with his front.
What she does is shift hips and weight over and almost line up over the front leg with the swing.

It likely comes down to our descriptions of weight, weight transfer, and center of pressure.

From the first frame of the clip portion below (and onwards), the center of pressure is largely against the front foot, and not the back foot.

1yvibs.gif

Oct 22, 2009
So what I'm gathering as to what she is being taught is more of a contact swing. Basically just hips moving toward the ball.

And this is not a popular swing in the MLB but maybe a simplified method of a contact swing taught by this person.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah

2qbtx4x.gif

Given your feet (both) support you're body, I would argue that the rear foot, for an instant, is a leader, but very quickly becomes a follower.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Given your feet (both) support you're body, I would argue that the rear foot, for an instant, is a leader, but very quickly becomes a follower.

IMO the start of the sequence begins with an impulse sent from the rear upper leg area (hip area) down to the rear foot and then back up to the rear upper leg area (hip area). The rear leg is in a sense ‘posting’ so that the body can work against it.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
So many kids have their feet almost stationary when hitting today and they may raise the front heel and put it down. I can't hit that way and I am perplexed how they do it. I can tell you my HS coach was concerned about contact but did not take the stride out of the equation to do it. Thanks goodness. We really had a hard time, pre composite to even hit, not like now. Today I think it is silly to teach a contact swing in softball. Maybe a shorter 2-strike swing, but there, we just take the follow through out and put the bat closer to where its going.

I listened to one of those hitting guys say to take the stride out with young kids, why too hard to teach them???!!! Don't like it, I think the feet help timing immensely, particularly when you see how active tennis players are when they hit. That's my family's background so we go with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1