Small hand glove help.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2023
Trying to figure out the best glove to get for my Daughter. She is 15, a pitcher and has aspirations to play softball in some type of college scenario. My question is her hand is so small we are having a hard time finding one that stays on her hand. She currently is using the Liberty pictured below but is constantly pushing the glove back on her hand. She has tried on many gloves at the store but nothing there seems any better than what she has. I think she is not real confident fielding because of the glove feeling like it might fall off. I would love some input on what others have used or suggest for her to try and find that will stay on her hands. Any help appreciated. I have read some of the other posts discussing this but I don’t know what everyone is talking about how small of a hand they have. I have the picture below to be used as a guideline for her hand measurement to some degree. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 71751445217__1702B5A4-E2AE-481A-AD1F-E927DB58AC32.jpeg
    71751445217__1702B5A4-E2AE-481A-AD1F-E927DB58AC32.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1271.jpeg
    IMG_1271.jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 31
Jan 5, 2018
PNW
My DD is now in college and a P. She used VELO three finger glove for the longest time when she was younger. She doesn't have large hands. In HS we got her a Rawlings HoH custom glove. I believe it was 12" may have been 11.75" Once she adapted to the Rawlings it was just fine. She started out shifting her fingers over to mimic the VELO before her hands grew a little more. Rawlings has the option to choose the glove opening size when you customize it. They call it the "pro taper" for the smallest opening. Not cheap but we are so happy with her glove 4 yrs of HS and now using in college. Still in great shape and condition.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You can go with a narrow fit on any custom Rawlings glove. That can help. The other thing to do is go with the TIP style of wearing the glove. That helps girls grip the ball better, and since you have two in the pinky slot, it tightens up the glove on the hand.

I would try that first before buying a new glove.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Small DD used an akadama glove which is her forever Mitt. Posters on here said their quality have dropped so I am not sure. I know your going to lose a body part if you even think of putting her glove on. She might let you touch it if your nice to her.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019
Trying to figure out the best glove to get for my Daughter. She is 15, a pitcher and has aspirations to play softball in some type of college scenario. My question is her hand is so small we are having a hard time finding one that stays on her hand. She currently is using the Liberty pictured below but is constantly pushing the glove back on her hand. She has tried on many gloves at the store but nothing there seems any better than what she has. I think she is not real confident fielding because of the glove feeling like it might fall off. I would love some input on what others have used or suggest for her to try and find that will stay on her hands. Any help appreciated. I have read some of the other posts discussing this but I don’t know what everyone is talking about how small of a hand they have. I have the picture below to be used as a guideline for her hand measurement to some degree. Thanks for reading.
Can try out a bradley glove. They are very reasonable priced for a quality glove.

Sep 19, 2018
Go to dicks and find a glove with DP fit. See if that fits her better. Dustin Pedroia liked a really small hand stall. If she likes that size you would either need to buy a baseball glove or custom order a softball glove.

Of course she could also wear a batting glove.

Dec 19, 2021
Go to dicks and find a glove with DP fit. See if that fits her better. Dustin Pedroia liked a really small hand stall. If she likes that size you would either need to buy a baseball glove or custom order a softball glove.

Of course she could also wear a batting glove.
We did just that. DD tried on a DP15 and the look on her face said it all. Fit her small hand better than the softball gloves, which she said weren't that different from the baseball models. We ended up ordering a custom with the DP fit so she could get the size, style, and color she wanted with the DP fit.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
That is awesome. Can you share a link to the glove details or a picture? Either way we need pictures once the real thing is delivered.

Jan 30, 2021
The Mizuno Global Elite is a well shaped glove that retains its shape in the pocket and maintains its structure well. You can get two or three “re-strings” out of it.

Use an “Pedroia Knot”, which does not affect the shape of the glove but will allow the back strap to do its job on a hard hit ball. Additionally, have her try the alternate outside two fingers in the pinky which will give her greater grip strength, expand the overall size of the pocket and it will elevate the glove on her hand by .5 to .75 inches, which effectively turns an 11.25 or 11.5 into an 11.5-11.75.

My youngest is a pitcher and she wears an 11.5 and my oldest is a catcher middle and uses an 11.25.

Sep 27, 2023
Going to see if I can find a DP15 in the area that she can try on this weekend. Then maybe go that custom route

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles