Question about a hitting "style".

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Okay cool! So what he's advocating is that if you slam your front side into the swing, the rotation will happen.
So in this case the instructor has left out the whole "let the rotation happen", because if he was allowing the rotation to happen, there would be movement with the back leg.

It may be that the instructor believes this kid is at the point where her rear leg needs to be deadened further so that there is a 100% conversion to a front hip pivot.

In any event, it is a poor swing model. The kid will eventually learn this ..... either the hard way or the easy way .... assuming that she plays at a high enough level.

Oct 22, 2009
I need to have a sit down with this gentleman and discuss what this deadening of her leg is doing to her pitching :p

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Here's my theory. If Jojo's student is having trouble doing what Jojo, her PC, is asking her to do, then chances are pretty good IMO that she also is struggling to implement her hitting coach's instruction. Stride v. no-stride swing is a matter of style and is not the crux of the issue with the posted clip. Rather, it is the weight distribution and transfer. Look at the model swing thread, look at professional hitters (male or female) and try to see if you can find a match for: 1) weight (i.e., center of mass) behind the back foot at swing initiation; and, 2) what the hips (and feet) are doing in the posted video clip. I would want to see other hitters trained by the HC before concluding that what is shown in the video clip is what is actually being taught. If it is, I will resign my King of Prussia crown.

Oct 22, 2009
I would want to see other hitters trained by the HC before concluding that what is shown in the video clip is what is actually being taught. If it is, I will resign my King of Prussia crown.

This is why it's fascinating me so much, I have never seen anything like this, and she confirmed to me --no movement of the feet, no pivot.
I am believing now that he is teaching a method, style, or whatever you want to call it that he believes is beneficial, but I doubt very seriously he is teaching the style that he actually used in the MLB. And she and her parents are under the belief that this is what he actually used in the MLB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24