Question about a hitting "style".

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
I'm trying to learn the different styles of hitting out there, Linear, rotational, etc.

I had a pitching student last night and I was going over with her the use of her hips in pitching and trying to equate it a little to hitting and she was just shaking her head not getting it.

So I asked her to show me her hitting mechanics and this is what she showed me;
Weight is on the back leg then during the swing the hips shift from the back leg to the front leg. There is just a minor amount of hip torque from the back hip--the back knee moves toward ball ever so slightly, there is no pivot at all with the back foot, it stays planted. Front foot stays planted as well.

Is there a term for this? She claims her coach is an ex-major league player.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm trying to learn the different styles of hitting out there, Linear, rotational, etc.

I had a pitching student last night and I was going over with her the use of her hips in pitching and trying to equate it a little to hitting and she was just shaking her head not getting it.

So I asked her to show me her hitting mechanics and this is what she showed me;
Weight is on the back leg then during the swing the hips shift from the back leg to the front leg. There is just a minor amount of hip torque from the back hip--the back knee moves toward ball ever so slightly, there is no pivot at all with the back foot, it stays planted. Front foot stays planted as well.

Is there a term for this? She claims her coach is an ex-major league player.

It’s tough to comment without an accompanying video.

For example,

Weight is on the back leg

Yes, at one point this is the case.

then during the swing the hips shift from the back leg to the front leg.

There is a weight transfer.

There is just a minor amount of hip torque from the back hip

Would need to see this demonstrated … but the hip opening can be taught from a perspective of the hip resisting opening. The kid may have been trying to demonstrate not forcing the hip forward into rotation. There is a school of thought that believes 'resulting' rotation is best achieved through an approach that resists actively trying to rotate.

there is no pivot at all with the back foot, it stays planted.

We’ve all seen the problem with actively pivoting the rear foot. The pro may have simply been teaching that the rear foor is a platform to be acted against by the rear leg.

Front foot stays planted as well.

Once planted, the front foot does tend to remain planted.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My daughter is a pitcher, so I spend some time on the pitching forum as well as the hitting forums. Although I do not claim to be an expert in either, I feel that I know more about hitting than pitching. That said, many of the things that JavaSource, BoardMember, KenB, and others talk about with I/R have strong similarities to the high level hitting mechanics that many of the experts in that forum talk about.

I am definitely confused by the fact that the back foot does not pivot at all. I will defer to FFS's explanation from his post. However, I will say that the fact that the back foot does not pivot is related to the lack of rear hip torque you mentioned. Can't have one without the other, IMO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FP26, EricF recently posted the following .....

He tends to be long and drawn out ..... but one his messages that he describes as "step open, step up" is basically that the rear foot action is a 'result', and not an forced 'active' spin/pivot.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We’ve all seen the problem with actively pivoting the rear foot. The pro may have simply been teaching that the rear foor is a platform to be acted against by the rear leg.

Once planted, the front foot does tend to remain planted.

Yes, by all means, replace a rear foot that is pivoting only and not generating power with one that stays planted and doesn't allow the hips to get through to generate power, add a front foot that is planted throughout the swing and you will see your power drain completely away. This is world class non-sense.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, by all means, replace a rear foot that is pivoting only and not generating power with one that stays planted and doesn't allow the hips to get through to generate power, add a front foot that is planted throughout the swing and you will see your power drain completely away. This is world class non-sense.

This world class 'non-sense' has folks like Sue Enquist, Mike Candrea, etc. performing drills in which they instruct the hitter not to actively pivot the rear foot. That of course doesn't make it right. However, when working with a spinner, or someone with an over-active rear foot, it helps to direct the person away from the issue they have. Sadly .... many kids have been taught to 'spin'.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26, EricF recently posted the following .....

He tends to be long and drawn out ..... but one his messages that he describes as "step open, step up" is basically that the rear foot action is a 'result', and not an forced 'active' spin/pivot.

I agree. I failed to mention which action I think is the driver because I really don't feel like getting into a discussion about "the move". To avoid that discussion, let's just say that I believe if someone uses FBC properly, the back foot will not remain "planted". At minimum there will be eversion (I believe that is the correct term...). In most cases the foot will do more than evert (not sure if that is even a word...), and to a certain extent the amount this occurs will be determined by pitch location. Ok, probably said more than is necessary... In any event, my point was that one cannot have adequate hip torque and keep the rear foot planted flat on the ground. And now back to Jojo....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree. I failed to mention which action I think is the driver because I really don't feel like getting into a discussion about "the move". To avoid that discussion, let's just say that I believe if someone uses FBC properly, the back foot will not remain "planted". At minimum there will be eversion (I believe that is the correct term...). In most cases the foot will do more than evert (not sure if that is even a word...), and to a certain extent the amount this occurs will be determined by pitch location. Ok, probably said more than is necessary... In any event, my point was that one cannot have adequate hip torque and keep the rear foot planted flat on the ground. And now back to Jojo....

Sure, would like to see eversion and plantar flexion ... but want to see the upper thigh area being the leader to this action.

The rear foot does not remain planted ..... but instructing someone in that manner can be helpful if they have engrained an over active rear foot spin action. In a way, you are trying to teach the rear foot to be acted upon.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
This world class 'non-sense' has folks like Sue Enquist, Mike Candrea, etc. performing drills in which they instruct the hitter not to actively pivot the rear foot. That of course doesn't make it right. However, when working with a spinner, or someone with an over-active rear foot, it helps to direct the person away from the issue they have. Sadly .... many kids have been taught to 'spin'.

Why not just teach them the concept of generating power from the ground up and teach them the relationship between foot position and foot action and how the hips move and are restricted when the foot is planted through the swing? Its not even a hard teach. It usually takes about a single practice for this particular light bulb to go on and for them to understand the feel and why it is desireable to free up the feet enough to let the hips rotate as much as they want while still getting that initial ground up power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi