Pitching coaches who recruit from other pitching coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So my question is it ethical for a pitching coach to actively recruit another pitching coaches students:mad:?

Reading most of the replies it is felt that it is ok for any pitching coach to recruit from another pitching coach.

Sorry but I must strongly disagree.

You asked a question that you were not open-minded about. You had already made up your mind. Which is fine. But why then did you ask it?

I'm not saying you are right or wrong about your opinion. But perhaps you should have asked a different question, such as, 'A coach stole my student, and I'm pissed. How should I handle it?'

My question to you would be: Why is it unethical? Perhaps you are right that it is. I'd like to hear that argument.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
At some point there must be some course of action that ethics is involved.

Coach Stan - If you work hard, and your students are improving and enjoying your lessons, you do not need to worry about other pitching coaches and their ethics....in my neck of the woods the best pitching coaches have a WAITING LIST of new students.

CoogansBluff I asked the question I wanted to ask. I wanted to hear other persons thoughts on the subject. Maybe I was wrong so I listened and was not persuaded by them and I kept my opinion that it is unethical. You may disagree with my final decision that is ok that is the society we leave in and I fought for which is freedom to express ourselves. It is unethical because it is stealing. Develop your own students make them the best they can be do not recruit them from other pitching instructors.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
CoogansBluff I asked the question I wanted to ask. I wanted to hear other persons thoughts on the subject. Maybe I was wrong so I listened and was not persuaded by them and I kept my opinion that it is unethical. You may disagree with my final decision that is ok that is the society we leave in and I fought for which is freedom to express ourselves. It is unethical because it is stealing. Develop your own students make them the best they can be do not recruit them from other pitching instructors.

I think it's a great subject that you brought up. Glad you posted because it makes me think. My point wasn't to say you were wrong in your belief. I was just questioning whether you had already made up your mind. Regardless of how anyone stands on the ethics of it, any coach is going to hate to lose a student that he/she put a lot of time into. I don't blame you for how you feel.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ethics are subject to interpretation. You apparently believe that this other PC employs unethical recruiting practices. Based on your representation, I'm inclined to agree with you; however, unless he's trespassing on your property to recruit your Ps, his actions, although unethical in our judgement, aren't illegal.

It sounds like you're a person of principle and strong ethics, I would suggest that you don't compromise them and lower yourself to your competitor's level. Carry on with you head held high and let your work speak for itself. Any time you need to vent, well that's what DFP is for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g