Pitching stats per level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Correct in fall. We stick with our commitments. Her rostered team is 11C with some young players on it (some just have turned 10). I’m concerned the level of play we will see won’t promote growth. We shall see how we do against older bigger 12C teams since there aren’t a ton of tournaments with 11C teams.
The good news is as a pitcher it should be relatively easy to stick with your commitment to your current team while also guest playing for other higher level teams to gauge where she stands. Teams are always looking for guest pitchers, just figure out where they post in your local area. Once she does it a few times word will get out and you will have all the opportunities you want.

Jan 25, 2022
Pitcher stats are also dependent on hitting quality. Some kids will swing at terrible pitches at that age. A lot of those strikeouts likely aren't strikeouts at the next level.

Dec 20, 2023
Pitcher stats are also dependent on hitting quality. Some kids will swing at terrible pitches at that age. A lot of those strikeouts likely aren't strikeouts at the next level.
Actually a lot of her strikeouts are against B level teams as there hasn’t been a ton of C-only tournaments in fall/winter in our area.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Stats are not only a product of how good a pitcher is. They are also a product of how good the girls behind her are. Go watch some games at a higher level. If you think she can compete, go tryout for the best team in your area. If that don’t work out go try out for the second best team. Nobody is going to laugh at you.

At a younger age we went from 16A to 18A after 1 yr of 16A. As a pitcher she was much better because the 18A team was much better defensively and offensively,

As a senior in HS with a team of 9 seniors who all played travel ball her era was 0.07 for the year. All without breaking 60 mph. Earning league MVP.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Out of all these responses - for a pitcher her age - here's what stands out to me. And I'll add two at the end....

1. Pursue mound time on the best team possible. Mound time is more important than the team right now, but team quality does matter.
2. Provide some game video to her pitching coach, which it seems you are doing.
3. Walks are probably the only stat that has much bearing right now. Still, don't get too caught up in this, as she's still a beginner.

My two cents worth....

4. Focus on improving mechanics. Results won't come without them. I'll go as far as to say that she shouldn't really care about results at all right now. Always mechanics for now.
5. Help her enjoy the work and have confidence in what she's doing. Patience is big. You showing that patience and confidence is hugely important, and your appreciation of her efforts will have a life impact far beyond the game or any success she has playing it.

Becoming a pitcher is a long, arduous journey. She'll work longer and harder than most anyone other player on her team. She'll be under more scrutiny from players and parents alike and face certain competitive pressures that other positions don't. It will test her and build her in ways that will make you more proud than you can imagine.

My DD was fortunate to have a pitching coach who helped me understand these things when she still at 11-12 range. I took them to heart, and it probably had more impact than anything else we ever experienced in softball.

Dec 20, 2023
Out of all these responses - for a pitcher her age - here's what stands out to me. And I'll add two at the end....

1. Pursue mound time on the best team possible. Mound time is more important than the team right now, but team quality does matter.
2. Provide some game video to her pitching coach, which it seems you are doing.
3. Walks are probably the only stat that has much bearing right now. Still, don't get too caught up in this, as she's still a beginner.

My two cents worth....

4. Focus on improving mechanics. Results won't come without them. I'll go as far as to say that she shouldn't really care about results at all right now. Always mechanics for now.
5. Help her enjoy the work and have confidence in what she's doing. Patience is big. You showing that patience and confidence is hugely important, and your appreciation of her efforts will have a life impact far beyond the game or any success she has playing it.

Becoming a pitcher is a long, arduous journey. She'll work longer and harder than most anyone other player on her team. She'll be under more scrutiny from players and parents alike and face certain competitive pressures that other positions don't. It will test her and build her in ways that will make you more proud than you can imagine.

My DD was fortunate to have a pitching coach who helped me understand these things when she still at 11-12 range. I took them to heart, and it probably had more impact than anything else we ever experienced in softball.
These are great things to keep in mind. She hasn’t had a stout defense behind her quite yet as she’s only been subbing. So knowing her true stats is a bit hard to determine.

You hit the nail on the head, should we pursue the most reps or quality reps? Which should we value more? That’s hard at 11/12U in any case, I just don’t want to be short-changing her on opportunity to optimally grow. She’s been overlooked and short-changed and basically told she wasn’t a good enough pitcher for her rec league (she has made the allstar teams only to be benched or shoved in the outfield) she has lingering doubts from the way some in our community have treated her over the last few years. She’s motivated and I don’t want her spinning her wheels, because at 11 it can be something minuscule that drives her away from her current goals, I’m just trying to help her see it through and find her the best opportunities to meet her potential. 😊

Apr 14, 2022
It seems pitcher gets short changed at some point. Wonder why pitchers are in short supply?
I am in the minority in that while some circle time is needed, do not see a need for a ton. More concerned over too many innings vs not enough.

What is the benefit at this age of getting 100 innings vs 30 innings over a year?

May 13, 2023
It seems pitcher gets short changed at some point. Wonder why pitchers are in short supply?
What I notice is there's a lot of young under developed pitchers who never make it to figuring it out how to throw.
( they don't put in the time to get better on their own and struggle and struggle. As batters get better the pitchers don't want to do it anymore)
And then there becomes short supply of those who are productive.

good question
What is the benefit at this age of getting 100 innings vs 30 innings over a year?
For those that don't practice on their own
...a giant chunk of figure it out time.

I say that with serious acknowledgment that there are fewer who put in work on their own time then there are those who do not.
( particularly in younger ages)

Apr 14, 2022
For those that don't practice on their own
...a giant chunk of figure it out time.

I say that with serious acknowledgment that there are fewer who put in work on their own time then there are those who do not.
( particularly in younger ages)
If they do not practice on their own, how do pitchers get better?
Do they not practice because they are playing 60-70 games in a year?
Big believer in pitchers get better with practice not games. One of the few things in sports that pitchers execution is with no other player involved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles