One of the hardest parts of coaching pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
*Command* of a pitch, aka "putting the ball where you want it to go."

Because it's most definitely about strikes. Whiffs, looking, fouls, popups, singles, homeruns. You throw what you throw. What you can SUCCESSFULLY throw. Win or lose, the low walk-count corresponding with 60% or more strikes will shake out whether you choose put them over the plate or not.

The higher you go the less strikes you want to throw. I'd argue Montana Fouts threw less than 50 percent strikes. The difference is the better teams were disciplined enough to make her through more strikes.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jan 25, 2022
The higher you go the less strikes you want to throw. I'd argue Montana Fouts threw less than 50 percent strikes. The difference is the better teams were disciplined enough to make her through more strikes.

Strikes on a stat line aren't the same as throwing a pitch in the strike zone. I feel like you're talking about the zone.

Feb 15, 2017
Strikes on a stat line aren't the same as throwing a pitch in the strike zone. I feel like you're talking about the zone.
Wrong. Fouts got a tremendous amount of swings and misses out of the zone. The more disciplined teams made her throw it in the zone.

Jan 25, 2022
Wrong. Fouts got a tremendous amount of swings and misses out of the zone. The more disciplined teams made her throw it in the zone.

I still don't think you follow my 60% stat but I don't have any more ways to explain it.

May 13, 2023
Add my .02 cents 🙂 there are reasons why pitched/strike percentage can vary.
Whiffs, looking, fouls, popups, singles, homeruns. You throw what you throw.
✔️How strikes shake out are not completely dependent on the accuracy of a pitch.
whether you choose put them over the plate or not.
This is an important part. Because sometimes pitches are intended to be strikes are not. And vice versa.

The higher you go the less strikes you want to throw. I'd argue Montana Fouts threw less than 50 percent strikes.
With good reason.

➡️ Because the result of pitching is also reflective of the result of the batters. Means...
Wild pitching can be effective.
(Aka, Less controlled pitching)
Vs.
The more disciplined teams made her throw it in the zone.
Great example how many purposeful strikes need to be thrown is reflective of the Batters actions.

Basically 2 scenarios that could affect percentage~

Playing against less experienced batters a pitcher has more freedom. Batters are less apt to make good adjustments or swing decisions.
( batter swinging at not a great pitch creates more freedom for the pitcher. Also able to throw strike pitches by batters more easily)

Playing against the top tier hitters would not want to throw as many strikes. Because that would be serving up dinner! Want to make batters make bigger adjustments and smarter decisions.
( better batters can force a pitcher into a pitch count situation to need to throw a strike)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
Playing against the top tier hitters would not want to throw as many strikes. Because that would be serving up dinner! Want to make batters make bigger adjustments and smarter decisions.
( better batters can force a pitcher into a pitch count situation to need to throw a strike)

A couple of thoughts continuing on this. A pitcher facing top hitters, statistically the most important thing is getting ahead. Top hitters do not normally become top hitters by chasing out of the zone particularly early in the count.
I would say the better the hitter, the more important throwing strikes early is.
I looked at 3 HOF pitchers.
Randy Johnson, s% 64. Fpsw% 33%, obp% was .06 lower when batter swung at first pitch (strike% brought down early in career before he became an all star. Probably closer to 65-66 most successful)
Greg Maddux, s% 66. fpsw% 37%, ob% was .01 lower when a hitter swung at first pitch.
Tom Glavin, s% 60, fpsw% 28%, ob% was about .03 lower when a batter swung.
I would say 65% s% +/- 5% is pretty optimal. What% of strikes out of zone I do not know. I would guess top hitters rarely swing outside of the zone.

May 13, 2023
A couple of thoughts continuing on this. A pitcher facing top hitters, statistically the most important thing is getting ahead. Top hitters do not normally become top hitters by chasing out of the zone particularly early in the count.
I would say the better the hitter, the more important throwing strikes early is.
I looked at 3 HOF pitchers.

Randy Johnson, s% 64. Fpsw% 33%, obp% was .06 lower when batter swung at first pitch (strike% brought down early in career before he became an all star. Probably closer to 65-66 most successful)
Greg Maddux, s% 66. fpsw% 37%, ob% was .01 lower when a hitter swung at first pitch.
Tom Glavin, s% 60, fpsw% 28%, ob% was about .03 lower when a batter swung.
I would say 65% s% +/- 5% is pretty optimal. What% of strikes out of zone I do not know. I would guess top hitters rarely swing outside of the zone.
Interesting feedback that is relative to what the batter is doing. Result of the batters actions.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It seems pointless to me to talk about strike percentage because when a hitter makes contact it is considered a strike, and when a hitter swings and misses it's also a strike (obviously), but in both cases the pitch may have been out of the zone. Basically we are talking about whether the pitcher can execute their intention, throw a ball to a specific location, but the batter's actions keep us from knowing what the success rate was.

May 17, 2023
In the example you gave, I would bet you $10 that the kid has never thrown a curve in a game in her life.

Are you saying most pitchers can't throw a curve? Even at fairly young age most pitchers seem to have a curve. Now some are sharp and move extremely well while others tend to have a much more rounded movement.

But if you're suggesting most kids let's say 14u and beyond don't have a curve I just can't get on board with that. Heck I have seen a few pitchers who throw curve almost exclusively (like 80% of their pitches in game).

Apr 14, 2022
It seems pointless to me to talk about strike percentage because when a hitter makes contact it is considered a strike, and when a hitter swings and misses it's also a strike (obviously), but in both cases the pitch may have been out of the zone. Basically we are talking about whether the pitcher can execute their intention, throw a ball to a specific location, but the batter's actions keep us from knowing what the success rate was.
Execution % is really more valuable. Strike % is not the best representation, but not horrible; a pitcher is trying to get a strike with almost every pitch even if it outside the zone.
The real issue with strike % is balls left over the plate that get crushed.
I think you can say low strike% a pitcher is missing the zone and/or not tempting the batter out of the zone.
First pitch strike % is a really key stat. You will not find very many successful pitchers with this low.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles