Pitching coaches who recruit from other pitching coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I have been a pitching coach since 1975. But from 1975 to 1995 it was on a part time basis because I was in the military. Since 1995 when I retired from the military I have taught pitching and catching on a full time basis. Here is my problem, from the mid 1980 to now there is another pitching coach who has been teaching on a regular basis and has established his name and is well known in the San Diego community. That is not my problem my problem is he actively recruits my better students.

He has developed some very good pitchers who have done well in travel, high school and college. He is considered a nice guy by most folks in the softball community here is San Diego. But they do not know how back stabbing he can be.

I do not have a problem if a parent decides that I am not providing their daughter the proper teaching to advance thru the ranks and become the best pitcher or catcher. But I do have a problem when this other pitching coach actively recruits my students.

I just lost one of my better 12&U students to him this last week. He went thru the travel ball teams organization president to talk with the parent and they decided to go over and see if their daughter gets better. But this is one of many where he recruits other pitching coaches pitchers. Of course the parent asked if it does not work out can we come back. I said sure but with one rule that if you leave again you can not come back ever.

So my question is it ethical for a pitching coach to actively recruit another pitching coaches students:mad:?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I retired from the military

First, thank you for your service.

Second, I'm not a pitching coach, but I see no difference in stealing a player for your TB team vs stealing a pitcher for your business. Pretty low down. Somebody does that to me and you're gonna see a big change in my personality...........
5792477306812f8c5f49809fc04db846.jpg
[/IMG]

Jul 14, 2008
Maybe you should make your students sign a "Pitching Coach Contract"............NOT......

2581h6u.jpg

Ever considered he might be better then you at teaching pitchers?

Just sayin........If he isn't, you got nothin to worry about........They'll be back.......If he is.......Good for the pitchers who are going to see him......

After all......It's about them, not you........

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for your service.

We do live and operate in a free market economy, however. The consumer is free to choose where and how they spend their money, and it is usually nothing more then the glitz, lies, and bling of advertisement that sways them one way or another.

It's possible the other guy has a better product, but it honestlysounds like you're just being outmarketed.

I know that most of us are in this because we love helping the kids learn how to play the game, but unfortunately (as any travel ball manager can tell you), it is a business.

-W

Apr 13, 2010
My DD's pitching coach always has an open door policy. If you want to try the other guy(gal) down the street, that's fine I'm not holding you hostage. Many return, some do not. The ones that do return are accepted back with open arms.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Stan, I understand your frustration. You teach a kid, get them to a solid footing and this guy comes along and swipes them from you. I honestly would say that when they leave, they leave for good. It sounds harsh but no harsher than them looking elsewhere and leaving. Keep in mind it is a two way street. They don't have to come to you and you don't have to teach them. Let them know up front if they leave you they have severed ties permanently and that you don't have the time or energy to invest in them if they aren't serious about staying.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have students leave to go to the big, expensive coach, too. I wonder about it, for awhile. But then 2 little 8 YOs will come in, that are just full of life, and I move on.

I know all about it being a free market and I do not care about parents researching other pitching instructors that is their peraucative. But my concern is the individual pitching instuctor actually going out and recruiting to fill his stable. You see he used to be able to go out to a friendly, tournament or high school playoff (semi-finals) and say all the pitchers pitching right now go to him. Well he has not been able to do that for the last 10 years or so.

As far as providing a better product not sure when one of his students faces mine it has been kinda wash, a pictching dominated game.

I feel it is unethical. I do not care if parents leave for what ever reason. Parent's have to what they feel is best for their daughter. But the act of going out and recruiting from friendlies, tournaments and high school games from another pitching coach is not right.

May 17, 2012
BoardMember and Hillhouse are my DD's pitching coaches. They never complain when I take her to the local pitching coach. :)

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
BoardMember and Hillhouse are my DD's pitching coaches. They never complain when I take her to the local pitching coach. :)

What would they say if that local PC recruited several students away from them by who knows what means (Bad mouthing to parents, flat out lying, ect)?

CoachStan, I might attempt to see what he told the student or parents on why the players should go to him instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi