Pitching Technique Question HE -> IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
When I say HE is more natural what I mean is that all the beginning pitchers that I see are using HE (bowling). Give a kid a ball and ask them to pitch underhand and they will bowl. This is the last sentence in my post.

This is the last sentence in my post:And don't expect her to throw strikes with IR like she does now, that's the big drawback to making the change, but down the road when she's mastered it you will be glad that you did.
When I say HE is more natural what I mean is that all the beginning pitchers that I see are using HE (bowling). Give a kid a ball and ask them to pitch underhand and they will bowl.
Ok, fair enough. I see your point. Overall, I think that's probably true. I'm not sure I'd characterize the beginner pitcher who "bowls" with Hello Elbow though. However, either way Bowling or HE pitching, their not using their body properly.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The thread makes me smile. We had this huge debate on DFP many years ago about HE and IR, and I lost. It took a while to get it through my dense head what @BoardMember and @Hillhouse were saying, but it finally registered.

When I say HE is more natural what I mean is that all the beginning pitchers that I see are using HE (bowling). Give a kid a ball and ask them to pitch underhand and they will bowl. This is the last sentence in my post.
That's accurate. The first person a kid ever sees throw underhanded is Mom or Dad using HE for batting practice. So, of course, that's the way the kid starts.

May 13, 2023
Skee Ball isn't a high velocity game. I don't IR when throwing the remote across the couch to my wife either.

This would be more along the lines of skipping rocks.
😁Alrighty another example no need for IR to throw remote across the couch✔️
Skee ball was in addition to the comments about what the body may choose to do. Plus how kids May learn. Toward the comments watching their parents and coaches toss underhand and to other comments like bowling.
=IR may not be the first choice of the body trying pitching.

To me, skipping rocks would be something that teaches someone to throw sidearm. With side spin.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
😁Alrighty another example no need for IR to throw remote across the couch✔️
Skee ball was in addition to the comments about what the body may choose to do. Plus how kids May learn. Toward the comments watching their parents and coaches toss underhand and to other comments like bowling.
=IR may not be the first choice of the body trying pitching.

To me, skipping rocks would be something that teaches someone to throw sidearm. With side spin.
I use skipping stones as an example of IR to parents all the time. I show them and gradually modify the action by taking some of the bend out of the elbow and also straightening up from a bent over posture. Other than racquet sports I can't think of an activity that uses IR.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Other than racquet sports I can't think of an activity that uses IR.
If you mean rotation of the forearm, then jabs and crosses in boxing. Most throwing uses IR.

Golf, of course. The IR when using the 7 iron is almost exactly the same as pitching other than the hand faces 3B at 9 rather than up at 9.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414