Outside pitch mechanics or approach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I watched hours of baseball hitters during NCAA regionals. The best hitters on the outside ball, dare I say it, moved their front foot in towards the plate on the stride. Egads, you can't have a different stride east-west can you? Well, that's what we do on my team with great effect, but it is only an inch or a couple move with the stride going slightly towards oppo field.

It is actually very easy to accomplish if you hover the foot before committing to toe touch. Like you said, it only involves an inch or two.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
tumblr_nmns9mV8Xx1usf292o1_250.gif

tumblr_nmnsozNAV31usf292o1_400.gif

Was that off speed?

Oct 25, 2009
[video=youtube_share;PQ-rLiSkaNU]http://youtu.be/PQ-rLiSkaNU[/video]

Here's an outside pitch

Way too far out front! Contact practice point will be somewhere between the rear knee and midline of her body. Set the tee there and have her adjust to hit to right field. Don't adjust the tee to enable her to hit it there; she has to adjust.

I like front tossing better, though. Be unforgiving until she can consistently hit outsiders safely to right field.

I've heard that Cabrera's Dad insisted primarily on oppo practice.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
SBpreak I'll try the tee drill. Thanks. RD I see what you mean with the front side. Any suggestions ?Other issues? Please critique . We are really trying to build a great swing .

Oct 25, 2009
Maybe rdbass will post the Bustos clip so you can get a better idea of the oppo drill. It can be a very frustrating drill to a player; video might relieve some of that frustration.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe rdbass will post the Bustos clip so you can get a better idea of the oppo drill. It can be a very frustrating drill to a player; video might relieve some of that frustration.

Personally, I like throwing front toss to a hitter set up in a 45 degree SnF stance. Unfortunately I do not have a clip to post.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Both softballphreaks and FP26,s posts are spot on. I use both to teach OPPO.

I set the ball Way outside, on the tee, and deep at the back thigh.
I use the sNF drill, to hit the ball.

I in no way am saying that my girls have HL swings, but they can hit the ball.
As a matter of fact, here is the post I made earlier today.
intentional walk home run

the scenario....
We are down by two in the bottom of six, in the State championship game.

My slapper gets on, then a walk, then a double to tie the game.

my batter gets up, who already has a home run, and they call for the intentional walk.

I keep telling her to get ready, we work OPPO, so she knows.

this is the result. 3 and 0 green light intentional walk homerun.
mann : Photo Keywords : jenn...9092&k=kF3QB8k*

Narration by a players dad.

The girl who hit the double, to tie. hit this HR earlier in the day. I like her on deck warm up.
mann : Photo Keywords : devannystatehomerun 

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole