Outside pitch mechanics or approach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Personally, I like throwing front toss to a hitter set up in a 45 degree SnF stance. Unfortunately I do not have a clip to post.

Are they driving back up middle for this or still hitting oppo?

I want to try this.

Big believer in working on oppo practice. Even off of a middle tee/hit setup we insist railroad tracks are up and down, hit the inside seam. I think that is the beginning of the progression. Learned that from someone here at dfp and I think it is very valuable long term.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are they driving back up middle for this or still hitting oppo?

I want to try this.

Big believer in working on oppo practice. Even off of a middle tee/hit setup we insist railroad tracks are up and down, hit the inside seam. I think that is the beginning of the progression. Learned that from someone here at dfp and I think it is very valuable long term.

You may get different opinions on this one, but I want hard line drives up the middle from this stance. Unfortunately my pitching skills are not the best, so if I miss to the inside I do expect the ball to get pulled and I am fine with that. In those cases it was my mistake, not hers. It is my understanding that most people use this as a lower body drill (coil, etc.), but I like to add hand usage along with it. A poster at another site uses the phrase "hit behind and through the ball". If I hit my spot pitching, the behind and through will result in a line drive right at me, IMO.

I am also a fan of the "inside seam". Howe made some very good posts several months ago about that topic. There was a gif of Ryan Braun with three different swings that was used in that discussion. I cannot seem to find that gif right now, but maybe someone else has it (Link to this gif in the next post below). There was also a video about the gif in which Braun talks about the inside seam.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Thanks- I like this, we are prob going to work on this at team practice too. Have been prepping with a lot of inside/outside tee work and think they are ready for it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Well DD and I have been working on the outer half with better results. The oppo tee work that was suggested has helped . But the root of her problem was barrel dump (losing barrel to soon) . So we have incorporated a more start down mentality as well as a keep the barrel above the hands for as long as possible approach. Last tourney she drove the outside pitch THROUGH the fence( it was one of those mesh ones lol , still hit very hard). She also has fixed a hole she had on the letter high pitches with a couple of hard fence shots and one over the fence. But the low pitch that she used to hit better than anything else is not as good .

So my question to the gurus from DFP is am I going down the right road or will we have to make adjustments to our approach? Thanks in advance . I really appreciate it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Barrel not pivoting around the hands ....

o52w7c.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole