Drop in velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2023
First time poster so apologies if it’s been discussed before.

I got a membership at an indoor facility (3 months) that ended January 1. My daughter and I went 3 or 4 times a week and on the last day the Pocket Radar had her around 47. She just turned 12 so not setting the world on fire but she was happy with it.

Next three months she pitched in the garage at about 20 feet. We were able to get outside today and it seemed like she was slower. Sure enough, Pocket Radar now showed 42-43.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? She didn’t change anything mechanically as far as I can tell. Is practicing at a shorter distance detrimental? I should note that this was the first time she has pitched in about 10 days.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What was her velocity in the garage?

When you are catching it's not easy to get a good read on a pitcher's mechanics. I always try to take video from the throwing arm side, without video it can be difficult to detect changes, even with video there are subtle changes that are tough to spot.

Lastly, how was she dressed and what was the temperature when you went outside. A sweatshirt or a heavy layer can cause an issue, so can cold temps.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Agree with @ArmWhip. At her age, it could be anything.

Take a video from the throwing arm side and from the back. We can give you some pretty good feedback.

Nov 18, 2015
Wasn’t there a thread recently about temperature possibly affecting pocket radar readings?

But my money is on a sweatshirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Agree with @ArmWhip. At her age, it could be anything.

Take a video from the throwing arm side and from the back. We can give you some pretty good feedback.

Yep, pull out the phone and record. We need to see, body language, mechanics. Things like is she choking the whip. It can be anything.

Aug 21, 2008

I got a membership at an indoor facility (3 months) that ended January 1. My daughter and I went 3 or 4 times a week and on the last day the Pocket Radar had her around 47. She just turned 12 so not setting the world on fire but she was happy with it.

Next three months she pitched in the garage at about 20 feet. We were able to get outside today and it seemed like she was slower. Sure enough, Pocket Radar now showed 42-43.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? She didn’t change anything mechanically as far as I can tell. Is practicing at a shorter distance detrimental? I should note that this was the first time she has pitched in about 10 days.
measure her velocity a few more times, on different days at different times. Then take the average of those times and you'll be in her general ballpark.

The other posters are right, this could be anything. A bad day at school. A boyfriend broke up with her. Someone didn't send her a Snapchat reply to one of her messages. There's a long list of things. But make no mistake, velocity is a fickle beast. It'll be there one day, and gone the next. Heck, it could go game by game or even inning by inning.

She should pitch faster outside than she does outside. But it will take a few sessions to get the feel of it, get the timing and mechanics right, etc. And anyway, velocity isn't as important March 30th as it is on May 30th. So, don't sweat it.

Jul 18, 2021
I’ve posted on this before and wrestle with this constantly with my daughter. She is 14 years old and there are some days when she is feeling good and she will top out at 62mph. Then others where she will sit in the 57-58mph range. I used to get mad, and freak out over the dips and would clock her every day we threw, but that just made things worse. The lower the number on the pocket radar, the more I would get on to her about effort or her mechanics and the worse things got. Had people tell me some kids see the radar and try and throw so hard they tense up and that in turn causes drops in velo because they are no longer long and loose. I dunno. Also like previously mentioned, with girls it could be anything that is causing the drop, anything that affects their mood you will see on the radar.
Velocity is still something I struggle with. I’m constantly searching for ways to add another mph. We probably spend way to much time working on Velo. My advice to you is put the radar away. It will drive you crazy! It does me! Haha. I usually will sneak it at a tournament when she isn’t looking and that’s the only time I clock her anymore. Usually in game is when I have seen the top velo anyways.

Jan 20, 2023
I have a solution for you- mail me your radar gun and I will safe keep it for you while you take a break 🤣

The gun will also find a new appreciation for 57mph here.

Sep 13, 2021
I’ve posted on this before and wrestle with this constantly with my daughter. She is 14 years old and there are some days when she is feeling good and she will top out at 62mph. Then others where she will sit in the 57-58mph range. I used to get mad, and freak out over the dips and would clock her every day we threw, but that just made things worse. The lower the number on the pocket radar, the more I would get on to her about effort or her mechanics and the worse things got. Had people tell me some kids see the radar and try and throw so hard they tense up and that in turn causes drops in velo because they are no longer long and loose. I dunno. Also like previously mentioned, with girls it could be anything that is causing the drop, anything that affects their mood you will see on the radar.
Velocity is still something I struggle with. I’m constantly searching for ways to add another mph. We probably spend way to much time working on Velo. My advice to you is put the radar away. It will drive you crazy! It does me! Haha. I usually will sneak it at a tournament when she isn’t looking and that’s the only time I clock her anymore. Usually in game is when I have seen the top velo anyways.

Same situation, almost exactly, daughter-wise. I used to gun everything too and messed her up a couple times changing her form to squeeze out more velo. Two things changed that. The first was realizing that chasing velo flattened out her movement pitches. Flat gas gets hammered at 14u and 57 with good movement and command is better than 62 and straight. The second was getting her on an S&C program and seeing increased velo come as an unforced byproduct of getting stronger and more explosive. Now the only time she gets gunned is at lessons where the PC has a PR setup that displays velo every pitch.

May 27, 2013

Was she pitching on grass or dirt outside? What was the temp like? My dd always pitched faster on turf and in warmer weather. Still the same to this day at age 21. I sometimes watch her games on TV where the camera angle is from above and I’m like is she throwing all changeups? Nope, it’s just 40 degrees at the field. Following week it’s in the 60s temp-wise and she looks much more “zippy.”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619