Outside pitch mechanics or approach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Well here's my first attempt at a video post . This was a 180 ft laser to cf(caught but hit very well). On an inside pitch. Thanks for your help guys.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
3SjMVXx3V64

Ok..

Oct 25, 2009

If that is an example of her swinging at an outside pitch she is way too far out front.

As far as flares (slices) and popups (if she is letting the ball get deep enough on an outside pitch) the problem is most likely having her bat head too low. One of the first things batters learn when we practice hitting outside pitches using front toss is that the bat head cannot be too low. To me the bat has the "feeling" of being more level than it should be when I first make the adjustment. Of course, it's not actually level.

There was a post on here some time back that suggested placing the pitching screen about 20-30 from the batter and offline towards 3rd base; then pitch the ball across the outside of the plate. For the first several buckets (about 75 balls) the batter will hit weak grounders to 2nd, slices, and popups. As they adjust the barrel angle they will start hitting right field gappers.

As a team drill this causes a lot of moaning and groaning. But it's very effective!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi