Beating a team that's better than you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Here's a topic I haven't seen before.

Tell me some stories of how you beat a team that's better than you. Think HS Varsity level.

Let's assume a couple things:

1) The other team's pitcher is good, but she's not so far above your team's talent level that you have no shot to hit her.
2) Your team knows how to play. They aren't Day 1 Bad News Bears. They're just an overall less talented team.
3) You've never played the team before (But you can find some video to get a sense of who their best players are).
4) It is a game that you really can win, but probably only 10% of the time. A lot has to go right, but we're not talking Upset of the Century.

I'm looking for strategies, motivational techniques, etc. Any good stories of pulling off that big upset? How do you approach the game? How do you handle your players? How do you keep your players from getting intimidated/feeling the pressure?

Jun 11, 2013

Tell me some stories of how you beat a team that's better than you. Think HS Varsity level.

1) The other team's pitcher is good, but she's not so far above your team's talent level that you have no shot to hit her.
2) Your team knows how to play. They aren't Day 1 Bad News Bears. They're just an overall less talented team.
3) You've never played the team before (But you can find some video to get a sense of who their best players are).
4) It is a game that you really can win, but probably only 10% of the time. A lot has to go right, but we're not talking Upset of the Century.

I'm looking for strategies, motivational techniques, etc. Any good stories of pulling off that big upset? How do you approach the game? How do you handle your players? How do you keep your players from getting intimidated/feeling the pressure?
My philosophy was that I always wanted our team to play well. You can play well and lose and you can play terrible and still win if you are playing a bad team. If a P is just mowing you down try playing a little small ball. Try anything versus just getting a bunch of K's.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

Play them like any other team. Don’t tell your team that you think the other one is better. Just play. I’m sure my DDs teams beat plenty of teams that were better. We just don’t know it at the time.

Its amazing to me how much has changed in softball over the past 5-10 years. The amount of video and information on teams and players was slim. Word of mouth, in person scouting during tourneys. That was about it. We didn’t know enough to fill our team with doubt.

But in the spirit of the question. Most players focus on hitting and pitchers on pitching. Force them to field. I’d bunt repeatedly. Force the pitcher off the rubber. Make her use her energy and focus on something other than pitching. If you find a weakness bunt there.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Bunt, bunt, bunt. I throw soft and away 85-90% of the time and spot the FB/SB/DB inside about 10-15% of the time. Try to expand the zone. Have catcher framing every pitch. Try to get the ump on your side. Don't be afraid to walk or hit some of their best hitters. Good luck.

May 17, 2012
I always think of this quote when playing a team with superior talent.

"The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him; he does the thing he ought not to do; and often it catches the expert out and ends him on the spot."

Feb 16, 2024
Bunt, bunt, bunt. I throw soft and away 85-90% of the time and spot the FB/SB/DB inside about 10-15% of the time. Try to expand the zone. Have catcher framing every pitch. Try to get the ump on your side. Don't be afraid to walk or hit some of their best hitters. Good luck.
I agree with this. Our TB was against a team with a very, very good pitcher in the championship game. We were behind 2-0. Had the best power hitter bunt. She got to first and then the stealing began. Rinse, wash and repeat, create chaos. The defense was weak because of the lack of game time base running practice, chaos ruled, we won.

Sep 13, 2021
Small ball, get runners on base by any means necessary and be aggressive about taking bags, especially early in the game. Play super clean defense, and do not provide any extra outs.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I think the biggest thing is to truly understand what the teams strengths are and play to those. You can't pretend to be something that you're not.

Everybody wants their team to hit bombs, most occasionally do, but consistency is key. Likewise, a team that isn't stacked with small ball speed isn't going to do well in small ball either.

Offensively, in most cases, it's a blend of both.

The only universal truth is you have to have a buttoned up defense to win.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I can think of two occasions but very similar in outcome. One in high school and one in college division championship tournament facing a ranked opponent.

Both games, the score was tied with a girl on second base. A well placed bunt and errant throw by the pitcher to first base allowed the winning run to score. In the high school game the ball was in the dirt. We won that game and it was the only run scored. In the college game the pitcher airmailed first base. It was an upset of a top #20 ranked opponent.

Another memorable game in high school was a regional for my daughter when a girl who hadn't hit a home run all season popped one over left center for a 3 run lead and DDs team went on to win the game and the regional. She could not have picked a better time all season to get a hold of one!