Outside pitch mechanics or approach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here's an example of combining "head down nonsense" with "palm up nonsense".

2ypf7ea.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The finish you see from my DD was from me stressing "stay inside" and" square the ball up" . Which I interpret as square shoulders ,hips and don't roll the wrists too early.( hope that descprition makes sense).Ive never really taught a hpp before. Geez I have a lot of work to do.How should I start so I can introduce the hpp my dd?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The finish you see from my DD was from me stressing "stay inside" and" square the ball up" . Which I interpret as square shoulders ,hips and don't roll the wrists too early.( hope that descprition makes sense).Ive never really taught a hpp before. Geez I have a lot of work to do.How should I start so I can introduce the hpp my dd?

Another way to think of HPP is that the barrel gets whipped, not pushed or pulled.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

GM is correct.

Listen to the following usage of "hitting inside the ball" and see if it makes sense.

Staying inside the ball shouldn't mean maintaining a 90-degree orientation between the barrel and rear forearm. Barrel up, or square up, doesn't mean to get to such a 90-degree orientation and then push that into the ball.

Your daughter is short circuiting whip.

If you are early during BP, which your daughter is, then you still complete your "A-level swing". You don't abort a good swing and burn-in the pushing of a squared barrel. You don't abandon the whipping action. In practice, have your daughter complete an "A-level swing", and in short order she'll be better timing the ball such that her "A-level swing" is "barreling up" to the ball.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi