NCAA correct motion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Is it more difficult to time the whip in the extra motion? I have 2 instructors, they both believe the opposite of each other, maybe it depends on the person throwing?
Getting into a proper hitting position is not difficult , rhythm and timing, on the pitchers arm, stay square stay back, weight transfer with a good bath path and hand path.

Hitting the rise ball, stay off it, unless it's in the zone, same way with a curve drop, if it's good, you are probably going to have more trouble with the sharp curve drop, either in taught or going away, .

I want to see the ball, i don't want any one yelling to me curve, drop, rise, at 43 feet you better be ready with your eyes and hands

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1finger:

In pitching, the body has to be in a specific position in relation to the arm. A real common problem in for the body to "get ahead" of the arm.

E.g., for a rightie, when the arm is at 12 o'clock, the left foot should be off the ground and the body should be over the right foot. After 12, the left foot lands. In a lot of beginning pitchers, however, when the arm is at 12, the left foot has already landed. The pitcher needs to speed up her arm or slow down her body. One way to speed up the arm is to do a back swing. (If the pitcher delays her push off until the arm gets to 6, then the arm is moving rapidly when the push off starts.)

Curious:

You are so right. I understand it completely now. Oregon will make mince meat out of Nebraksa's Tatum Edwards (she uses a back swing), since Coach White is an expert at reading pitches and he no doubt has taught his team to read pitches from the back swing. No need to even checks the score of those games...

By the way, which coach will be watching the CWS from the stands? Coach White or Coach Revelle of Nebraska?

Just for clarification, I am *NOT* saying that no back swing is wrong. I am simply saying that it does not help "hiding the ball".

Attachments

• tatum-edwards.JPG
    tatum-edwards.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Mar 6, 2013
Coach yelling really works ?. hm!. Must be pitchers in D1 are really dumb and batters are super intelligent. If 3B coach yells the grip to batter , obviously same information is received by pitcher. And worst thing ever happen is getting ready to swing with preconceived expectation of what is coming and pitcher actually improvises throws slightly different. When you need to make split second decision "less information is better far better than information overload".
I am not saying nobody does it and we see many people do it. But we have seen again and again people do stupid things at the highest level and there is no reason to just follow it and say it really works.
Oh yes. Oregon was all over Nebraska pitcher :)

Jun 13, 2009
1finger:

In pitching, the body has to be in a specific position in relation to the arm. A real common problem in for the body to "get ahead" of the arm.

E.g., for a rightie, when the arm is at 12 o'clock, the left foot should be off the ground and the body should be over the right foot. After 12, the left foot lands. In a lot of beginning pitchers, however, when the arm is at 12, the left foot has already landed. The pitcher needs to speed up her arm or slow down her body. One way to speed up the arm is to do a back swing. (If the pitcher delays her push off until the arm gets to 6, then the arm is moving rapidly when the push off starts.)

Curious:

You are so right. I understand it completely now. Oregon will make mince meat out of Nebraksa's Tatum Edwards (she uses a back swing), since Coach White is an expert at reading pitches and he no doubt has taught his team to read pitches from the back swing. No need to even checks the score of those games...

By the way, which coach will be watching the CWS from the stands? Coach White or Coach Revelle of Nebraska?

Just for clarification, I am *NOT* saying that no back swing is wrong. I am simply saying that it does not help "hiding the ball".

Sluggers, why are you so arrogant? You're really saying you're basing all of this off one game? Are you really thinking that a team cannot have a bad game? I didn't say he does teach his team. I said, you're wrong if you don't think he could. Why do you have to be so confrontational about everything? Someone voices a different opinion and you fly off into a sarcastic rant.

Feb 5, 2010
Curious:
BM has another explanation about the back-swing with women as well if he chooses to chime in. I can tell you from my experience that my dd's timing was as Sluggers suggested with hiding the ball. Right now she stays in the glove and hides it from the hitter but does swing back. It has helped get her arm caught up to her body to the point that she can now feel the difference in the timing and is getting a better whip. It has been pretty difficult to teach her something that she had not felt until now. Going forward, I would love to see her hind completely and she may very well once her body has the correct timing.
Have you ever taped your dd to see where her arm is in her motion? You might be surprised at what you see, and once again, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm not trying to start anything here but I always sensed that dd's was not getting something correct. Whenever I taped my dd her arm was not far enough in the circle to get a whip 1:00 - 1:30 The best seem to be at 2:30 - 3:00 at plant. We had to do what we could to get better timing for now. I know her coach would like to see it hidden, but right now this seems like the lesser of 2 evils for my dd.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The starting point of the hands has no direct bearing on timing at release. The timing of the forward motion of the hands relative to the forward drive does. The exact moment that the hands begin the forward circle varies from pitcher to pitcher. Most of the time the body will feel the timing of the foot plant and adjust. Given decent form/sequencing, timing generally works itself our regardless of the starting point of the hands.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My own opinion here from my experience.

I strongly suspect that so many HS and college pitchers use the backswing because that is what they were started with at a very young age. They started with it and it never got changed at any point.

For a7, 8 or 9 year old beginner, I am absolutely certain that the majority of them MUST use the backswing to develop enough speed to reach the plate. Most of the very young ones I worked with had been started with coach Dad and that is what he saw and tried to have her do. If they could not handle the traditional wind up, I went with the double pump. Later on we would AL;SO incorporate the traditional wind up to go along with the DP.

Shoprtly after that, the pitcher would decide which one they wanted for their 'Bread and butter' wind up. Now, having experience with both, they would have no qualms at all about using both in a game.

The college pitchers are probably still using the wind up they began with as a very young beginner.

On the double pump I will add that it very inconsistant with pitchers that do use it. If the speed of the backswing, the point it is brought back to, etc, is slightly different from one pitch to the next, obviously, it will throw tyhe pitchers timing off. Not a huge amount but it doesnt take much to mess up accuracy and/ or speed.

Jun 13, 2009
Here's the thing, I didn't mention anything (I don't think) about the backswing being good or bad. Personally, I don't like it and my DD doesn't use it on the advice of her PC. But, to suggest Mike White cannot/has not taught his players to read pitchers is strange, especially since it's being based off one game. Oregon jumped from #12 (I think in the pre-season) to #2 during the year. Winning the Pac 12 for the first time. Maybe he (White) didn't see anything to "pick" on her in this game? I don't know. Maybe Oregon just had an off game? I do know they run ruled Nebraska earlier in the year. It's currently inning #3 in the 3rd game of the super regional.. Oregon has stranded 18 runners on base so it's not like they aren't getting on base.

Anyway, we're off point. I completely disagree that girls cannot be taught to read pitchers and that it isn't having an impact in the women's' game. Just look at how many pitchers are now doing that twist to the side to hide their pitches, nearly all of them. It's not all "monkey see, monkey do" there is a reason they are doing it. It's because more coaches are learning to pick.

cg.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse