Welcome to Bulletspin Season!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
As we move into the conference championships and WCWS we'll get some good slo-mo pitch replays.
If you see any good side or backspin (6-12) pitches from "top pitchers", let us know which player/game/inning.

Happy unicorn hunting!
I don't know if I've seen a backspin rise ball since Barnhill.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
You would think we would see a true back spin pitch thrown as a change up/off-speed to compliment the bullet spin.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I believe Nicole May can spin. G Jaurez from '21 also had good backspin. Madi Balk at FSU has crazy backspin, but gets very little circle time.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
As a general rule I think there is a trade off between back spin and velocity, the more of one the less of the other. Kelly B was a rarity. I'm not sure how effect a slow riseball would be at the higher levels.

Nov 9, 2021
You would think we would see a true back spin pitch thrown as a change up/off-speed to compliment the bullet spin.

That’s what my DD does. They look almost identical coming out of the hand. It has been quite effective. The only downside I could see is the change up hovers in there so if you miss your spot it can be dangerous. I prefer a change up to drop she just throws the other one so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There isn't enough time. MLB pitchers throw into their 30s. Softball pitchers are done by 22.

The kid has to learn the mechanics of how to throw the pitch, then learn how to throw it accurately, and then learn how to switch back and forth between the pitches.

Most pitchers of the CWS pitchers have only one movement pitch.

Jul 19, 2021
Madi Balk at FSU has crazy backspin, but gets very little circle time.
Which begs the question...................... is true backspin really that important? Since the bullet spin pitchers are getting circle time and the crazy backspin pitchers aren't.

Maybe it's being over emphasized here. Results say the answer is yes?

(For discussion purposes only. Not taking a stance)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oconnell.patrick