NCAA correct motion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
If you are a qualified pitching instructor, for NCAA pitchers, are you teaching the pitcher to take the ball from the glove and go directly to windmill, or are you going to teach a double pass of the hip , down and back, then forward up and swing?

No doubt it has been asked before here some where.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Technically, there are 2 styles of pitching, step style and leap and drag.

There are 2 types of accepted mechanics that can be used with either style, open mechanics and closed mechanics, ;closed as in the hips at 45 degrees at landing foot touchdown.

There are several different wind ups that can be used with them, Some wind ups cvan only be used with step styl;e pitchers.

Straight out of the glove into the forward circle = traditional leap and drag wind up, at least in my part of the woods.

Dropping the ball down and to the rear before the forward circle = the double pump wind up, also originally called the 1 1/2 wind up.

The traditional and the double pump are the ones most taught and most seen in competition.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
so why do you want yo use one or the other?

they are 50/50 it seems in the SPRGNLS

What style is classified on Ricketts and Rogers

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Maybe this is more information that you need, but:

There is a specific relationship between the location of the arm with respect to the position of the body. It is easier to get the push off and arm movement coordinated with a backswing for a young pitcher. (Remember that all NCAA pitchers are young.)

The problem with the backswing is that the grip is exposed to the 3B coach and the batter. A batter could pick up the pitch from the grip. So, the "go directly into windmill" is done in order to keep the batter and 3B from seeing the ball.

Almost no male pitchers use a backswing for this reason. However, most women pitchers do have a backswing. Most likely, the reason for the difference is that women batters can't see the grip as easily as men. There has been scientific studies showing female/male vision differ as to fast moving objects.)

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Agree, best ones i have found teach go direct and impress the whip, i was just curious seeing a split in the pitchers, see which one gets the ring with what delivery, may not be the real underlying factor how ever

tks

"Every softball parent keeps a hockey mask and a butcher knife in their car..."

Mine has bats

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2009
Almost no male pitchers use a backswing for this reason. However, most women pitchers do have a backswing. Most likely, the reason for the difference is that women batters can't see the grip as easily as men. There has been scientific studies showing female/male vision differ as to fast moving objects.)

Sluggers, I don't know anything about the studies you mention regarding moving objects. But, I can tell you that my DD's coach is a male pitcher. And he firmly believes that with the amount of male fastpitch players entering the college game (he can rattle off a dozen or more who are now D1 coaches at powerhouse schools), the game is changing. Look at how the girl pitchers are trying to "hide the ball" more and more. The male version of pitching is taking over the female game and the hitting is slowly following. Just watch an Oregon game sometime and listen to Mike White yelling out pitches to his hitters as he "picks the pitcher" from 3rd base box. The male players are teaching how to read pitchers and this is changing the game, just as the pitchers have changed how the girls are delivering their pitches.

CG

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Curious, I get your point. The problem is that the "no backswing" is well known. Male pitching coaches have been around forever. The best female pitcher in the world (Yukiko Ueno) uses a backswing. Most D1 women pitchers use a backswing.

"Reading the grip" is well known and has been known in the women's game for years. Yet, why don't all the batters do it? Your statement about Mike White proves the point--he can't teach his batters to do it.

This is really old news that men and women have different auditory and visual perception. Here is an article about the studies: Men and Women Really Do See the World Differently | LiveScience Here is another one: The eyes have it:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2009
all due respect, "he can't teach his batters to do it" is ridiculous. How do you know? Yelling out the pitches gets into the pitcher's head just as much as it helps his own team. Sorry, I don't buy it. I'm sure they work on it. I have seen my DD's coach throwing BP to girls at the facility and teaching them how to read the pitches. It's not that girls can't do it... it's that they are not taught to from the start. Just like girls aren't taught to call their own games as a catcher, it's not that they cannot or cannot be taught to do it! Many young ladies are taught by baseball hitting coaches who know NOTHING about riseballs, let alone how to pick a pitcher in softball. There is a girl in Ohio who takes live BP from our pitching coach, she has been taught for 4 years how to read pitchers. She is signed with Oregon. An Ohio kid going to a PAC 12 school is unheard of.