NCAA correct motion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Coach yelling really works ?. hm!. Must be pitchers in D1 are really dumb and batters are super intelligent. If 3B coach yells the grip to batter , obviously same information is received by pitcher. And worst thing ever happen is getting ready to swing with preconceived expectation of what is coming and pitcher actually improvises throws slightly different. When you need to make split second decision "less information is better far better than information overload".
I am not saying nobody does it and we see many people do it. But we have seen again and again people do stupid things at the highest level and there is no reason to just follow it and say it really works.
Oh yes. Oregon was all over Nebraska pitcher :)

I have to ask this. Is thje coach reading the 'Grip'? Or is he picking off the signal from the coach or catcher?

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I understand everyone's view point, but if some one yells rise ball and it's in you eyes and you swing, or if it's a 12-6 curve drop and it lands in the dirt, did you swing, you are probably right you can pick em, does the announcement get registered in 1.5 to help?
I saw meat balls water melon size waist high straight on non one was doing anything with, were they the best pitchers or the best hitters. I'd rather spend more time on hitting than than guessing.
RHYTHM AND TIMING

START ON TIME OFF THE PITCHERS ARM

STAY SQUARE STAY BACK

SEE THE BALL TO CONTACT

WEIGHT SHIFT AND TRANSFER WITH GOOD BAT PATH AND HAND PATH

still nothing to do with the correct motion//

Today i saw pitchers landing with the foot pointed straight to home, was not at a 45deg, hipps appeared not to be in action.

so going back to the question i asked, unless it was answered, what is ROGERS STYLE,, WHAT IS RICKETTS STYLE?,, step or leap as someone described styles

ESPN, does not give a lot if any front views

May 13, 2013
ESPN occasionally gives a side view on replays. I love watching Hannah R. Pitch. She looks like shes just stepping out, but from the side shes striding pretty far out.

This is Hannah (from 2008) behind the catcher.
rogers 2 - YouTube

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If you are trying to determine a pitchers style, l and d or step, watch the feet.

Step style - the stride foot lands BEFORE the pivot foot loses contact with the rubber.

L and D - Pivot foot is pulled away from the rubber BEFORE the stride foot touches down.

The pitcher in the video is a step style pitcher. I will also add she has the weakest and slowest stride I think I have ever seen. She is standing straight up through the entire pitch but I doubt if she EVER hurts her back with that weak variation of step style. She is throwing with all shoulder. I would be surprised if her top speed was among the best.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
If you are trying to determine a pitchers style, l and d or step, watch the feet.

Step style - the stride foot lands BEFORE the pivot foot loses contact with the rubber.

L and D - Pivot foot is pulled away from the rubber BEFORE the stride foot touches down.

The pitcher in the video is a step style pitcher. I will also add she has the weakest and slowest stride I think I have ever seen. She is standing straight up through the entire pitch but I doubt if she EVER hurts her back with that weak variation of step style. She is throwing with all shoulder. I would be surprised if her top speed was among the best.

And RICKETTS and ROGERS /style?

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I have to ask this. Is thje coach reading the 'Grip'? Or is he picking off the signal from the coach or catcher?

I believe the reference was to reading the grip /reading the pitcher// catcher was not mentioned. If your stealing signals from the catcher, there is not much science or discussion needed in that.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I believe the reference was to reading the grip /reading the pitcher// catcher was not mentioned. If your stealing signals from the catcher, there is not much science or discussion needed in that.

Understand that. I was just scratching my head and wondering if Mike was yelling it out to get the pitcher to NOT give away the pitch, however she was giving it away. Do that in a 14u tourney and everyone would think you are 'Busch league'.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
And RICKETTS and ROGERS /style?

I assume you are asking me. I dont know unless you have a video of them.

AAgain, just watch the feet and they will tell you.

As far as the gal in the video, contributing to ball speed, her legs are adding next to nothing in that category. As I said, hers may be the shortest, weakest and slowest stride I have ever seen, outside of very young beginners.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Understand that. I was just scratching my head and wondering if Mike was yelling it out to get the pitcher to NOT give away the pitch, however she was giving it away. Do that in a 14u tourney and everyone would think you are 'Busch league'.

I really don't know, a lot of this. probably comes from some who teach the girls to hide the ball in the glove, if the grip then can be identified and yelled to the batter, good luck, not me,

I was more asking the question before this got blown out the window, whether the straight out of glove or the double pass was best.

I was told yesterday by one of these instructors i referred to, both i would take kids to, that he was having issues with one student on the right out of glove, which he firmly believes in and is contemplating trying the D2 pass