NCAA correct motion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I assume you are asking me. I dont know unless you have a video of them.

AAgain, just watch the feet and they will tell you.

As far as the gal in the video, contributing to ball speed, her legs are adding next to nothing in that category. As I said, hers may be the shortest, weakest and slowest stride I have ever seen, outside of very young beginners.

Rogers? Rogers drive is close to 7 feet and she cruises in the mid 60's.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I really don't know, a lot of this. probably comes from some who teach the girls to hide the ball in the glove, if the grip then can be identified and yelled to the batter, good luck, not me,

I was more asking the question before this got blown out the window, whether the straight out of glove or the double pass was best.

I was told yesterday by one of these instructors i referred to, both i would take kids to, that he was having issues with one student on the right out of glove, which he firmly believes in and is contemplating trying the D2 pass

If the student is having issues with the straight out of the glove wind up, they will also have issues with the double pump. The traditional wind up is inherently a part of the double pump. If they can do one, they can do both. If they are trying for aggressive arm circle speed but have a non-aggressive stride length and stride speed, yeah, the pitcher is going to have huge timing issues because it will NOT feel right.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Rogers? Rogers drive is close to 7 feet and she cruises in the mid 60's.

This video rogers 2 - YouTube

The poster said it was Hannah Rogers. Watch both feet. The stride foot touches down at the exact time the pivot foot turns and makes a tiny bit of dust. Her stride looks like a normal step she would take walking down the sidewalk at a semi-brisk pace.

My vision is bad Ken, but not THAT bad.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I assume you are asking me. I dont know unless you have a video of them.

AAgain, just watch the feet and they will tell you.

As far as the gal in the video, contributing to ball speed, her legs are adding next to nothing in that category. As I said, hers may be the shortest, weakest and slowest stride I have ever seen, outside of very young beginners.

Why should some one watch a bad motion? Unless you are working with some one that has issues?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
There have been many step style pitchers that have had tremendous careers.

One of the issues I have is when sdomeone says "Watch the elite pitchers and do what they do". If you are talking to a young leap and drag pitcher, then she watches a college step style pitcher and tries to mimic that, yup, she will have problems.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
This video rogers 2 - YouTube

The poster said it was Hannah Rogers. Watch both feet. The stride foot touches down at the exact time the pivot foot turns and makes a tiny bit of dust. Her stride looks like a normal step she would take walking down the sidewalk at a semi-brisk pace.

My vision is bad Ken, but not THAT bad.

Her form has changed significantly since this video, but I'd say she's getting at least her height which is almost 6 feet. Watch the last minute of the video. Given she is striding to the right side of the lane and her lean/load are not as good as her current form, she does get enough lean and extension for 6 feet. I'd concede it is a relatively weak leap, but a leap and drag none-the-less. Hoping someone with the gift of gif can break it down into something easier to see.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Here's a more recent clip of Rogers. I like her more upright finish with her old form. I didn't realize she leaned so much now.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Ken,

in the first video, her pivot foot toe is in the toe hole in front of the rubber. It does not come out of the toe hole until AFTER the stride foot touches down. THERE IS ZERO PUSH OFF. Her pivot foot comes out of the toe hole and is dragged forward a foot or so. She might be striding out 4 or 4 1/2 feet tops in this video.

For this to be a leap and drag pitch, the pivot foot would have to be dragged forward of the rubber BEFORE the stride foot touches down.

She is throwing step style in this video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01