How to drive your hip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
He talks about slotting the elbow and getting the rear elbow vertical...I don't like this guys teachings a whole lot...lotta mickey mouse gadgets etc!

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I've been, to the best of my ability, using Dr. Yeager's method with some of my students. 4 of the 7 have made excellent improvement, totally changed them as hitters. What I see is the commitment to change as the difference from the others. With this method, a lot less momentum is created by turning the the shoulders, because the hips are shifting forward before rotation. The reason I choose this method; read the pitch longer in a neutral position and keeping the front shoulder in, stop dropping the hands, plate coverage, and squaring up to the ball. An added benefit was the player could feel her swing and mechanical breakdowns herself, making it easier to fix and be consistent at the plate.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I just watched the whole clip again, and he is stated a common misconception , that the first move is turn your hips.

The first move(one way) is to set your hips in a "cradle" type position, to get "sat", at this point the hips and pelvis, are in a slightly open position,(flex) but you can still extend OPPO, or go more "pull"

ortiz5050gif-S.gif

If you do nothing but "hip slide" you have gained no "overlap" have gained no wrag wring" no resistance.

Many still teach yeager front block method, and the "hips will get turned" method, with success like yours, Mike.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I'd be ok if they, as you describe "Set their hips" but most of my kids will rotate or twist early resulting in pop ups or weak grounders to second base. The goal is to hit line drives between the left center - right center gaps.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Interesting. I am finding that being SAT with arched lower back is a key to getting things moving around. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but when I show girls the coil drill with the torquing lower leg, it Works best from this position.

jcwak

Votto_hands_xmo.gif

Arched lower back, is a key component of Hip extension. it is the Upper part of the muscle group, butt and hammy being the other two major components.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I'd be ok if they, as you describe "Set their hips" but most of my kids will rotate or twist early resulting in pop ups or weak grounders to second base. The goal is to hit line drives between the left center - right center gaps.

Yes. A lot of kids will spin with no resistance.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
My goals with this method are;
1. Early pitch recognition in a neutral but loaded (ready)position.
2. Consistent , duplicatiable, repeatable swing.
3. Principles that can be taught and understood.
4. Better contact with the bat on the ball.
With my small sample size I also got a less confused hitter. They could feel and fix their swing when it broke down. This led to a more confident hitter in the box. It's not that she pops up or swings and misses that's the problem, it's understanding why and how to, hopefully, have a better at bat next time. My players that have a different hitting style , I didn't use this with other than trying to create pressure between the legs to slow the spinners and bug squishers down. I know there is several great methods, I'm just sharing my experiences with what I've used. Good luck

Last edited:

SWING KING

Banned
May 19, 2015
lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

Can you see how Lexie Elkins rear leg is turning forward and pulling rear hip forward as her hands are tight to her rear shoulder and the top of the bat is going backwards? She gets separation and stretch between her rear shoulder and upper torso that is resisting going forward and her (some call) "hip drive" that is driving forward. So in simple talk: hands are back, hips driving.

You are, like a majority of young hitters, are probably swinging at the ball with you arms. Your arms are going forward and your hips are staying back.

The finish of Lexie: can you see how the "hip drive" is pulling/launching her hands and bat through the ball? Her strong leg muscles are turning forward and her strong core/back muscles are pulling back so when released the swing is sling shot by the "hip drive" your coach is talking about.
lexiehippulled_zps90b45981.gif

^her hands are coming from behind the rear hip.

We do some pre set drills to help kids feel what it is like.

how are you teaching that down and in of the rear knee? are you teaching that goes first and pulls hips?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
how are you teaching that down and in of the rear knee? are you teaching that goes first and pulls hips?

I don't teach it. I teach hip coil and turning the barrel. That's it. The rear leg turning, knee down and in, is a reaction when coiling around the rear leg and snapping the barrel around the hands when there is no slack between the rear leg and hands.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
so many ways to teach kids how to hit, and each kid is, and does need a different set of repairs as time goes on.
One dad, says are teaching my DD a double hitch?:p, I said I haven't worked hitting with your DD, she has never made a single hitting practice.

This thread "HOW TO DRIVE YOUR HIPS" can be eye opening for many if we can debate this through.
Sorry about large pics, I do not know how to shrink them.

Bonds gets that rear leg under him, in an above average "hip flexion" position.

Bonds18-0.00.01.50weightmiddle.jpg

He uses a powerful Hip thrust, "hip extension" using his back, butt, and hamstring, for this thrust. You can can see his clenched glute in the pic below
his rear is getting into his swing.

Bonds18-29extension.jpg

Yes there is rotation in the hips, but in many youth swings, the back leg remains straight, so there is NO hip flex or extension, all spin.

this work below would be over the top for my group, but not for high level.
http://www.top.me/fitness/the-one-glutes-exercise-you-should-be-doing-but-probably-arent-1357.html

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413