How to drive your hip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

Can you see how Lexie Elkins rear leg is turning forward and pulling rear hip forward as her hands are tight to her rear shoulder and the top of the bat is going backwards? She gets separation and stretch between her rear shoulder and upper torso that is resisting going forward and her (some call) "hip drive" that is driving forward. So in simple talk: hands are back, hips driving.

You are, like a majority of young hitters, are probably swinging at the ball with you arms. Your arms are going forward and your hips are staying back.

The finish of Lexie: can you see how the "hip drive" is pulling/launching her hands and bat through the ball? Her strong leg muscles are turning forward and her strong core/back muscles are pulling back so when released the swing is sling shot by the "hip drive" your coach is talking about.
lexiehippulled_zps90b45981.gif

^her hands are coming from behind the rear hip.

We do some pre set drills to help kids feel what it is like.

This post is a HUGE eye opener for me and will be a giant help for my DD too. When you have a minute I would love it if you could describe a couple of the drills that you mention. My DD right now is doing exactly what you describe. She has the motions going basically right, but they are in the wrong sequence so her upper body is leading the swing and she is not getting near as much power as she could.

Sep 17, 2009
Only have a second...but real quick, the basis of the drills are like RDB said they do. Do some tee, side toss, and front toss with lower half turn forward and hands/shoulder area back. Feel stretch in the rear hip. Turn the barrel back from there and feel the rear hip sling shot the swing.
I just googled Lexie and front this photo. Wish it was full body, but you can see how her rear leg and lower is turning toward the pitcher and her hands are back. Get in a preset spot matching her photo (an open front leg stance helps) get stretched back around and fire.
lexie-elkins-630x387.jpg

RHC thanks for the quick post.

For the hitter, do as RHC describes. Start off a tee if you have one and play around with the positions he describes and notice what you feel in your body. You've likely never engaged your body like this when you swing (that's what an armsy swing means -- it's loose, wiggly and un-engaged, like a wet noodle, lol). Notice how your body parts "move in different directions" and work against each other. Your top is constantly pulling back (feel it in your back) while your bottom is constantly driving forward (leg is driving, feel it in your hip). This pulling and tension is BEFORE you launch your swing. Keep your hands at your shoulder and play around with loading your hands to a "launch position" that makes the stretch you feel between your top and bottom even tighter.

"Break" or "release" the tension between your body halves by launching your barrel rearward as RHC says. Breaking that tension should cause your lower body to drive forward and pull your barrel along for the ride. And voila, you've moved from a swing driven by your arms to a swing driven by the resistance you've created between your much bigger and stronger body parts.

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015

Can you see how Lexie Elkins rear leg is turning forward and pulling rear hip forward as her hands are tight to her rear shoulder and the top of the bat is going backwards? She gets separation and stretch between her rear shoulder and upper torso that is resisting going forward and her (some call) "hip drive" that is driving forward. So in simple talk: hands are back, hips driving.

You are, like a majority of young hitters, are probably swinging at the ball with you arms. Your arms are going forward and your hips are staying back.

The finish of Lexie: can you see how the "hip drive" is pulling/launching her hands and bat through the ball? Her strong leg muscles are turning forward and her strong core/back muscles are pulling back so when released the swing is sling shot by the "hip drive" your coach is talking about.

I have been working on this as well...the leg up and in. Do you think the hips go first or the drive from the ground up, The knee down and in forces the hip rotation/drive whatever?

Which comes first. IMO the ground forces and the I/R rear leg start the drive action in the lower body!

What drills are you doing to promote this!

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

good post, I worked with a player by the same name last night, large 12 year old, on the pull back, pre set, SNF, 45.

A few weeks ago, she did not use her lower end, she just stood there and moved her arms.
lexisnfgif-S.gif

lexihighhandsgif-S.gif

these clips were first swings cold, yes she was chipping the ball. I recorded her then worked a problem area, low inside, the rest of the session. Her high hands, hands above ball seemed fine.
Just trouble dropping the barrel.

Can I hear more of your pre set drills redhot?

Last edited:

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
Do you guys teach the pullback? I have seen the forced pull back lead to a whole lot of timing issues in youth players. I don't think teaching a pull back is always a good thing!

Maybe I don't know what you mean by pull back, do you mean pulling the hands back?

If you get a proper coil the pull back will take care of itself!

May 4, 2012
Only have a second...but real quick, the basis of the drills are like RDB said they do. Do some tee, side toss, and front toss with lower half turn forward and hands/shoulder area back. Feel stretch in the rear hip. Turn the barrel back from there and feel the rear hip sling shot the swing.
I just googled Lexie and front this photo. Wish it was full body, but you can see how her rear leg and lower is turning toward the pitcher and her hands are back. Get in a preset spot matching her photo (an open front leg stance helps) get stretched back around and fire.
lexie-elkins-630x387.jpg

I think this is a good pic from ULL site the other day (I posted on another thread here). Definitely not technically competent with pics and gifs etc. But maybe someone can past it correctly - 2015-05-13_1034 - bullethead's library

Link to webpage The Official Athletics Site of the Ragin' Cajuns - Jaguars Slip by Cajuns With Seventh-Inning Rally

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles