How to drive your hip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do you guys teach the pullback? I have seen the forced pull back lead to a whole lot of timing issues in youth players. I don't think teaching a pull back is always a good thing!

Maybe I don't know what you mean by pull back, do you mean pulling the hands back?

If you get a proper coil the pull back will take care of itself!

Posted on BBD. See if this helps explain:
....which to me, is not "pulling" back with the scap all together, but rather "holding" the scap/arms in place, and letting the body/torso move underneath them to give the appearance of the scap pulling back. Here's a simple way to feel the difference....

Stand as if you're holding a bow and arrow aimed at a target, but haven't pulled on the bowstring yet....
predraw.jpg

....we're now going to go about "pulling" the string back in two different ways.

First we're going to do it the old fashion way. We're going to lock our lead arm/elbow, and then use our scap to "pull" our arm, and thus the bowstring backwards. Simple, right?

But now let's try it again using a slightly different method of pulling the bow back...

This time, from that exact same stance/position, instead of pulling back with your scap/arm...simply hold the rear scap/arm in place, and turn your hips forward towards the target to "load" the bowstring.

Hopefully, if everything went as planned, you should have felt your rear arm/hand remain still, your torso move underneath your scap...and somehow mysteriously, the bowstring became "pulled back" or "loaded". If not, I'll have to show you what I'm talking about the next time we get together.

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
Ok I think I understand you! Is my saying the hip coiling action will take care of that the same thing you are saying here. I tried it BTW!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Posted by RHC on Technical Model Swings:
rearleghipcoil_zps8243938c.gif

rear leg/hip coiling, loading forward. Hands and back pinching, loading back.
rearlegdrive_zps6a46199c.gif

Rear leg drives in/down/forward. Back pulls/resists back. Rag ringing action of leg driving forward, back resisting backward drives rear hip socket forward.
lowerbattlewin_zpsd47fd02f.gif

Stretch from rag ringing released whipping barrel through the ball.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Give this a try:
attachment.php

Notice the rear foot.
How to do this:
- Setup with as much Pigeon-toe as you can handle
- Really get into the ground with inside of the back foot along the padding of the big toe. Really feel the inward pressure
- Now, use your low back, your mid back and most importantly your scap to resist any inward pressure. Feel like your hip is pulling around.
- Now Drive forward while trying to never give up the resistance on the back side.
- You must not slide the hips or shift the weight forward. You want to feel as if your weight is staying stacked over the back side during the stride.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Can you see how Lexie Elkins rear leg is turning forward and pulling rear hip forward as her hands are tight to her rear shoulder and the top of the bat is going backwards? She gets separation and stretch between her rear shoulder and upper torso that is resisting going forward and her (some call) "hip drive" that is driving forward. So in simple talk: hands are back, hips driving.

You are, like a majority of young hitters, are probably swinging at the ball with you arms. Your arms are going forward and your hips are staying back.

The finish of Lexie: can you see how the "hip drive" is pulling/launching her hands and bat through the ball? Her strong leg muscles are turning forward and her strong core/back muscles are pulling back so when released the swing is sling shot by the "hip drive" your coach is talking about.
lexiehippulled_zps90b45981.gif

^her hands are coming from behind the rear hip.

We do some pre set drills to help kids feel what it is like.

PujolsOverlap.gif

The drill below (the boy's dad is a good dude), done correctly was the single most significant contribution to my players understanding of the concept being discussed. The temptation to use the arms and momentum when in this configuration is diminished significantly. The cue to maintain/increase the pullback suddenly makes sense to the 14 year old
brain. They finally feel the barrel being pulled by the rear hip/leg.

2j0kodx.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00