How to drive your hip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Votto_hands_xmo.gif

Arched lower back, is a key component of Hip extension. it is the Upper part of the muscle group, butt and hammy being the other two major components.

Where did you hear about the arched lower back? I never heard this from anyone else. That is a great clip of some serious arching!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Where did you hear about the arched lower back? I never heard this from anyone else. That is a great clip of some serious arching!

think of the lower back, And how it braces the gluts, your back, your butt, your quads, to produce hip extension.

SCRUNCH, is the key. Scrunch will be absent in those that teach a "level" swing, for those that say things like, "don't drop your shoulder".

I learned by "accident" teaching "tilt", finding that slight arch, fired my hip forward.

Just like anything It can be overcooked, and depending on body type, look different, thicker kids will look different than long thin kids.

Coachbob, might be on to the same thing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mann - Would you consider this to be an example of the "scrunch"/arch/hip extension you are talking about?
Maddie-051315_g_zpsuskas1wj.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
think of the lower back, And how it braces the gluts, your back, your butt, your quads, to produce hip extension.

SCRUNCH, is the key. Scrunch will be absent in those that teach a "level" swing, for those that say things like, "don't drop your shoulder".

I learned by "accident" teaching "tilt", finding that slight arch, fired my hip forward.

Just like anything It can be overcooked, and depending on body type, look different, thicker kids will look different than long thin kids.

I agree with what you said. I just never heard anyone else who was using the same thing to initiate the hips.

For me it was a missing piece on how to use the hips as the handle of the whip.

Thanks,
Shawn

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Mann - Would you consider this to be an example of the "scrunch"/arch/hip extension you are talking about?

I don't think this hitter is arching to initiate the swing. When done correctly it ties in the big muscles of the body to work first. To me the hitter is using the legs turning and arms swinging. I don't think it's a center out driven swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This was the reason I said she looked mechanical. When you arch correctly the big muscles control the smaller ones. I think the above hitter is turning the legs and the hands as the main power in the swings.

When you arch correctly the arm are relaxed and whippy. Because the bigger muscles dictate the smaller muscles, supply all the power.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal

Shawn, the pelvis is tilted anteriorally (buckle down) during transition, with the lower back arched. This is a golf move that translates well to the bat swing. You will also see that Votto has a significant lateral bending during this phase of the swing. The lateral compression combined with arched back (lordosis) is taught as a way to fire the fused leg/hip assemble forward from pivot. Cleat traction and lower leg torque automatically send the knee in and down without upper leg drive as is sometimes suggested. If you want to know how to feel this, you can PM me. It's an eye opener when your rear hip comes around as a reaction to this move and detachment of the rear heel.

Votto_hands_xmo.gif

Here is a visual of what that lateral move does.

https://imgflip.com/gifgenerator

In many swings you can also see the front scrunch setting up the pivot.

1kj7B52.gif

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I agree with what you said. I just never heard anyone else who was using the same thing to initiate the hips.

For me it was a missing piece on how to use the hips as the handle of the whip.

Thanks,
Shawn

Shhh, it's a secret. lol.... Not many would use it around here anyway; it's an ego thing, you know.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I don't think this hitter is arching to initiate the swing. When done correctly it ties in the big muscles of the body to work first. To me the hitter is using the legs turning and arms swinging. I don't think it's a center out driven swing.

In frame by Frame, she starts off doing it perfectly, then bails out to hit the ball way out front for the dreaded pull .... my kids do the same thing. :) She looks really good Eric. We are headed down to OC this weekend for a tournament... and a little tutoring session.

Mann, good find! TM teaches this principle too.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Eric - The swing is improving every time I see it. If I understand the concept correctly, her hip extension is occurring (starting) just a little bit early and that could possibly lead to the "out front"

mann / coachbob - Good stuff. I am enjoying this dialogue. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207