How to drive your hip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2015
I don't speak real technical about this stuff. I teach my girls to push (I say fire) the hip with the big toe on the back foot. I tell them to pretend there is a ball attached to their hip and they are throwing it at the pitcher with their hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
This looks like the hips are leading the turn, causing her rear leg to turn in.

What is the action that goes on here?

rearlegdrive_zps6a46199c.gif

I (IMO FWIW etc), believe you are correct in a sense. I think what you are seeing (if I may offer an enhancement to the commentary) might be the rear hip being released (disengaged, detached) by way of a lateral bending at the left side of the mid/lower back which causes the hip to shift forward allowing the inwardly weighted and torquing rear leg to turn the hip/leg assembly as the rear heal is detached.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
PujolsOverlap.gif

The drill below (the boy's dad is a good dude), done correctly was the single most significant contribution to my players understanding of the concept being discussed. The temptation to use the arms and momentum when in this configuration is diminished significantly. The cue to maintain/increase the pullback suddenly makes sense to the 14 year old
brain. They finally feel the barrel being pulled by the rear hip/leg.

2j0kodx.jpg

I use this swing thought in our SNF drill.
snfFront_Torque_254211813_std.jpg

the reason being that once they pull back from this position,
lexisnfgif-S.gif

And get the feel of overlap, separation stretch whatever you want to call it, then you can have them start from a stance, and have them sit, "get sat" by coiling forward into the original SNF position, which they now know the feeling of.

Which is the same swing thought you have , the feeling of being pulled, by the lower, and winding of tension.

From the stretch and fire position, I have them EXTEND their hips towards the ball, so from "sat" which contains some hip rotation, and flex, flexion, to Hip Extension, towards ball, which also contains hip rotation, more or less for both, depending on ball location.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I use this swing thought in our SNF drill.
View attachment 8128

the reason being that once they pull back from this position,
lexisnfgif-S.gif

And get the feel of overlap, separation stretch whatever you want to call it, then you can have them start from a stance, and have them sit, "get sat" by coiling forward into the original SNF position, which they now know the feeling of.

Which is the same swing thought you have , the feeling of being pulled, by the lower, and winding of tension.

From the stretch and fire position, I have them EXTEND their hips towards the ball, so from "sat" which contains some hip rotation, and flex, flexion, to Hip Extension, towards ball, which also contains hip rotation, more or less for both, depending on ball location.

Interesting. I am finding that being SAT with arched lower back is a key to getting things moving around. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but when I show girls the coil drill with the torquing lower leg, it Works best from this position.

jcwak

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Way to take a thread and blow it up!
Sat...IMO just proof that the hitter is staying coiled around the rear leg as they are moving out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01