Help with DD going all forward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
WoW that huge leg kick is a pretty significant change especially from a timing standpoint.

But if that is the direction she feels more comfortable with, while I would not recommend it, she still needs to keep the basics.

For comparison of someone with a huge leg kick here is Josh Donaldson. Firsts point of focus is getting to far back and over her back leg, she still needs to make sure she stays inside the back foot and she appears to hunch over and drop the bat instead of load, last is the follow through look how she almost looks like a golfer with reverse C, biggest thing is to keep balanced, it really looks like she is really trying too hard to swing hard and some of her mechanics are suffering.

insidebacklegdonaldson.JPGoverbacklegDD.JPG

finishdonaldson.JPGhitting finish DD.JPG

May 3, 2014
In an attempt to use her hands better Kenzie has adopted a style that she relates more to her overhand throwing process. I believe that she is not coiling well enough and during front toss she tends to hit a lot of balls off the end of the bat which I am thinking that her hands are following the shoulders around and pulling off the pitch. I do not have any video of front toss at this time but I will try to get some. The following is a tee swing from last night would love to hear your opinions
https://vimeo.com/181037512

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. Do front toss and see if she can get the timing for that.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
WoW that huge leg kick is a pretty significant change especially from a timing standpoint.

But if that is the direction she feels more comfortable with, while I would not recommend it, she still needs to keep the basics.

For comparison of someone with a huge leg kick here is Josh Donaldson. Firsts point of focus is getting to far back and over her back leg, she still needs to make sure she stays inside the back foot and she appears to hunch over and drop the bat instead of load, last is the follow through look how she almost looks like a golfer with reverse C, biggest thing is to keep balanced, it really looks like she is really trying too hard to swing hard and some of her mechanics are suffering.

Thanks for your comment DJ.
I somewhat agree with you on the rear leg usage that she gets over it a little to far on her negative move but I feel her move out is really what matters. With that being said I find she moves out correctly by trying to coil, can it be better I think so. You said that she drops the bat instead of load. I believe the exact opposite that this is probably the first time that she actually loaded the hands and took the bat from her arms. I know that it is hard to critique one swing but I also believe that she put a lot less effort into this swing compared to other swings. Below is a tee swing when we were trying to get the bat in the hands. Tell me if you can see that the bat never gets into her hands and how I find that she muscles the swing more than the current. DJ I am not saying that I am right and you are wrong just trying to promote discussion so I can continue to learn.
https://vimeo.com/181066969

Edited to add: the backwards C that you referred to I believe could be caused by two things. If you noticed during weight shirt her front foot slips a lot and that could have thrown her balance off but more than likely I believe it is due to an improper hand path by following the shoulders around.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I like it. Do front toss and see if she can get the timing for that.

The only thing I would change is the tee. I feel it's too far forward. I would move it back a footish......
I somewhat agree with you on the rear leg usage that she gets over it a little to far on her negative move but I feel her move out is really what matters.
This might help to clarify it a little.
Donaldson is "into" his rear leg, while the young lady is up "onto" hers......
23w5zqb.jpg

Not your DD but, the picture helps to see the differences. I hope...
weight over the rear hip. Which is what JD is doing and the girl is not
11jbxap.jpg

Donaldson is coiled forward in the still pic. The girl is NOT.

I believe the exact opposite that this is probably the first time that she actually loaded the hands and took the bat from her arms.
Yes, I can tell because you can see your DD 'wiggly' the bat. Also can see her 'tip' the bat forward out from her body as she is loading up.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
The only thing I would change is the tee. I feel it's too far forward. I would move it back a footish......

This might help to clarify it a little.

23w5zqb.jpg

Not your DD but, the picture helps to see the differences. I hope...

11jbxap.jpg

Yes, I can

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Someone may have mentioned this already. DD needs to feel the pressure on the inside of her rear foot as she 'coils' forward. Shouldn't feel pressure on the whole bottom of rear foot.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Someone may have mentioned this already. DD needs to feel the pressure on the inside of her rear foot as she 'coils' forward. Shouldn't feel pressure on the whole bottom of rear foot.

I agree and we talked about this last night. I feel that there is to much slack in her rear leg that needs to be addressed. I do think once she was onto her leg that she did attempt to move forward by coil. Do you see the same? As I said earlier I do believe it can be better and I am hoping by taking out the slack it will help this. I find in the past that when we tried adding more movement into her loading process that this issue typically showed up and I am hoping that it should be easily fixed.

Sep 29, 2014
rd...I think the "onto" versus "into" rear leg is a very good description of what is shown...I also second the tee being forward but forgot to mention it.

I also think the sequence is pretty good it is just a matter of how she is executing each piece.

@DRDRIOD Overall I think she is doing great and as with all comments and discussion ultimately up to you to figure out what makes sense and what does not for your and your DD...that's what the board is all about

As I've said before what probably matter the most is position at foot plant, everything before that is to get you into the right position and if you are not nothing you do after that can fix it (big strong hitters can compensate more than others but they still are not getting the best results)...more food for thought. As I mentioned I think the leaning forward/hunching over whatever we call it causes her to never straighten up at foot plant. If you compare it's becasue of this she is not getting as much separation as she could. If you leave her hands where they are but have her more upright she would more closely match the two model hitters.

Here are Lauren, Josh and you DD

lauren foot plant.JPGdonaldsontoetouch.JPGkensietoetouch.JPG

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I agree and we talked about this last night. I feel that there is to much slack in her rear leg that needs to be addressed. I do think once she was onto her leg that she did attempt to move forward by coil. Do you see the same? As I said earlier I do believe it can be better and I am hoping by taking out the slack it will help this. I find in the past that when we tried adding more movement into her loading process that this issue typically showed up and I am hoping that it should be easily fixed.

I do believe it can be better and I am hoping by taking out the slack it will help this
I think if you.....
Before you make any more adjustments can you first move the tee back a foot or so.....That with this....
DD needs to feel the pressure on the inside of her rear foot as she 'coils' forward. Shouldn't feel pressure on the whole bottom of rear foot.
Your DD looks good and as you gets comfortable with using the hands she will get better. I hope you now understand what I have been saying about get the 'feeling of using the hands and feeling the bat in the hands'.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog