Help with DD going all forward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Hitter seems to understand her body well. Within the new leg kick mechanic, have her show you (not explain, but show) what she would do if she identified a changeup incoming -- have her demonstrate when, and what and how she would adjust and hit it. That will help you see if her "bigger" sequence is still *in* sequence and isn't moving toward all-back all-forward (vs a stretch and fire separation) which would be the fear. To me I see more slack in her new swing (when she gets to the top of her leg kick) then her old. I wouldn't have added a leg kick on the front-side but more pull-back and hand-load leading to more held stretch as I advocated earlier and I think RHC described too.

That said, this looks pretty good still

10900d1472750699-help-dd-going-all-forward-kensietoetouch.jpg

That's just IMO and I think you guys are working hard, trying new things and in the end working results matter most. Good luck.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Your DD looks good and as you gets comfortable with using the hands she will get better. I hope you now understand what I have been saying about get the 'feeling of using the hands and feeling the bat in the hands'.[/QUOTE]

I do and thank you very much for that. It took a while for it to sink in. Recently she attended a camp and I was watching some of the older exceptional hitters and then she got up and it hit me like a ton a bricks. Like you told me in the past the best way to capture what's happening in a swing is watching it at full speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Hitter seems to understand her body well. Within the new leg kick mechanic, have her show you (not explain, but show) what she would do if she identified a changeup incoming -- have her demonstrate when, and what and how she would adjust and hit it. That will help you see if her "bigger" sequence is still *in* sequence and isn't moving toward all-back all-forward (vs a stretch and fire separation) which would be the fear. To me I see more slack in her new swing (when she gets to the top of her leg kick) then her old. I wouldn't have added a leg kick on the front-side but more pull-back and hand-load leading to more held stretch as I advocated earlier and I think RHC described too.

That said, this looks pretty good still

10900d1472750699-help-dd-going-all-forward-kensietoetouch.jpg

That's just IMO and I think you guys are working hard, trying new things and in the end working results matter most. Good luck.

I agree Rich and spoke briefly about this last night during our practice. She seems to understand the concept of holding the stretch but performing the action is a different story. It may take her a while to develop a variable timing mechanism within her swing.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I agree Rich and spoke briefly about this last night during our practice. She seems to understand the concept of holding the stretch but performing the action is a different story. It may take her a while to develop a variable timing mechanism within her swing.

Not to 'nit pick' but, there is nooooo 'holding the stretch'. There is continuing pulling back /stretching until launch.

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for that info. I will have to do some homework on this to get a better understanding.

I'm not 100% sold. A hitter could pull back and stretch but then hold to maintain separation versus begin to leak forward as their front foot completely plants.

The key is as the front foot plants you have achieved maximum coil/load/stretch/separation (I never seem to use these term exactly right and always get in trouble), it's not easy to accomplish both at exactly the same time, my guess is most achieve this maximum position with their top half first then pause/hold as the front foot comes down then unload.

If you look again at the stills you can see your DD has very bent lead arm (it should not be straight but should extend more), hunched head and hands close to rear shoulder, in other words not as much separation as the model hitters.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
I'm not 100% sold. A hitter could pull back and stretch but then hold to maintain separation versus begin to leak forward as their front foot completely plants.

The key is as the front foot plants you have achieved maximum coil/load/stretch/separation (I never seem to use these term exactly right and always get in trouble), it's not easy to accomplish both at exactly the same time, my guess is most achieve this maximum position with their top half first then pause/hold as the front foot comes down then unload.

If you look again at the stills you can see your DD has very bent lead arm (it should not be straight but should extend more), hunched head and hands close to rear shoulder, in other words not as much separation as the model hitters.

DJ last night while practicing. I did attempt to throw some change ups to her and she did get out front to hit them. When this happened I stopped and asked her what was she trying to do. She replied and said that she felt as if she could not load anymore. I interpreted this as that her thinking that heel drop is the trigger to launch. At that time I replied with you have to hold your load and let the hands be the trigger and not heel drop. I am not sure what the correct way to adjust is? I am confused about her front leg needs to extend more? Are you saying to try and ride the coil longer until heel plant? This being the adjustment for a change up? Basically slowing the load down?

Sep 29, 2014
Here is a sport science video explaining how Donaldson does it with the high leg kick. He explains that it is exactly what he does, since he can control when his foot touches he can control when he begins his swing.

He begins his leg kick well before the pitcher has released the ball. Again having a high leg kick is going to force you to do things different. They explain that he can keep his swing tempo exactly the same no matter what the pitch by doing this. Anyway it's an interesting study if she is going to use this style.

My only principle was at plant there should not be any more coiling/loading/separation or anything going back or any releasing hips or hands anything going forward. My thought was it is probably much easier to reach that point where you "can't load anymore" then hold it than trying to time the two actions simultaneously. Remember all these things are happening in hundredths of seconds and while it is easy to pick up in slow motion as you commented earlier even at full speed your eye picks up that something seems wrong even if maybe you can't figure it out without the slow motion...although good hitting instructors who see thousands of reps can, like I said that is not me so I revert to the video. In the analogy of twisting a rubber band it should be completely wound up as far as it can be and not let go of before your front foot is down.

Also not sure where the front leg extending more comment came from but not something I think is needed.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
Here is a sport science video explaining how Donaldson does it with the high leg kick. He explains that it is exactly what he does, since he can control when his foot touches he can control when he begins his swing.

He begins his leg kick well before the pitcher has released the ball. Again having a high leg kick is going to force you to do things different. They explain that he can keep his swing tempo exactly the same no matter what the pitch by doing this. Anyway it's an interesting study if she is going to use this style.

My only principle was at plant there should not be any more coiling/loading/separation or anything going back or any releasing hips or hands anything going forward. My thought was it is probably much easier to reach that point where you "can't load anymore" then hold it than trying to time the two actions simultaneously. Remember all these things are happening in hundredths of seconds and while it is easy to pick up in slow motion as you commented earlier even at full speed your eye picks up that something seems wrong even if maybe you can't figure it out without the slow motion...although good hitting instructors who see thousands of reps can, like I said that is not me so I revert to the video. In the analogy of twisting a rubber band it should be completely wound up as far as it can be and not let go of before your front foot is down.

Also not sure where the front leg extending more comment came from but not something I think is needed.

Thanks for the video DJ it does help.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How about instead of 'hold' or 'continuing pulling back'/stretch. We use 'resist' and 'controls' her weight shift forward until the ball arrives.

See Bonds:fast ball on the left..........off speed pitch on the right.
BondsvBonds1.gif

What ever a hitter has to do to HOLD their weight from shifting to the front side to soon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00