Feedback on DD please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slide Piece

Banned
Aug 12, 2014
SAME THING..No leg drive. All forward. Front leg collapses. All forward at start, never gets into sprinters position!

Hey 2 for 1

Do the same drills and some others may have more to add. But read the I/R sticky and start reverse chaining those arms! FIRST! If anyone disagrees feel free to chime in!

Id say train that arm first. Again I would not let them pitch until you get through the first couple of drills..Lock it in and unlock..Then I would have them pitch at short distance say 25-30 feet with a FOCUS ON MECHANICS!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
DWB, yes, your older DD is forward as well. Watch in the video where her shoulders remain pointed downward toward the ground. She never gets her chest upright.
I use a drill where I get my pitchers to step up onto a bucket with their stride foot, working on getting the stride leg lifted, the head and shoulders back and the weight back. after they do this dry for awhile, I have them also throw the pitch while staying on the bucket. ---The stride foot goes up on the bucket then they finish with arms only. This also allows them to feel what it feels like to release with the weight more back and not out in front.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Sidepiece, please only link the video that you would like to reference. Posting them over and over makes our site too encumbered.

DWB, if you have the above You Tubes viewed now, I will clean up your post so that others can get through it, easily.

Thanks, Amy

Slide Piece

Banned
Aug 12, 2014
I LINKED ALL VIDEOS I WANTED TO REFERENCE, what are you talking about! I never posted anything over and over. They are all separate videos! MODERATORS SMH!

Amy the name is SLIDE NOT SIDE piece. Whole different meaning!

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Slide mentions some good things here.

Like slide says, work on the i/r drills first. Emphasize palm-up and leading with the elbow... as your DD's elbow is oriented the wrong way (behind her body, as opposed to pointed down).

Another point of emphasis would be to learn to release the ball off the back leg when doing the i/r drills. At this time, the ball releases from her hand beyond her front leg... and little to nothing you'll try will fix her posture until she learns to throw off the rear leg... as her current release is pulling her upper torso forward.

Teach her to i/r while remaining open (while keeping her back against a wall)... not allowing the rear throwing shoulder to see the target.

Lastly, get her to learn the feel of allowing the rear leg to come forward so that she finishes taller.

Once she gets a hold of these basic concepts, start to address her drive/stride power.... but remember, learning to throw the ball correctly underhand sbould always precede learning to pitch it underhand.

Slide Piece

Banned
Aug 12, 2014
Slide mentions some good things here.

Like slide says, work on the i/r drills first. Emphasize palm-up and leading with the elbow... as your DD's elbow is oriented the wrong way (behind her body, as opposed to pointed down).

Another point of emphasis would be to learn to release the ball off the back leg when doing the i/r drills. At this time, the ball releases from her hand beyond her front leg... and little to nothing you'll try will fix her posture until she learns to throw off the rear leg... as her current release is pulling her upper torso forward.

Teach her to i/r while remaining open (while keeping her back against a wall)... not allowing the rear throwing shoulder to see the target.

Lastly, get her to learn the feel of allowing the rear leg to come forward so that she finishes taller.

Once she gets a hold of these basic concepts, start to address her drive/stride power.... but remember, learning to throw the ball correctly underhand sbould always precede learning to pitch it underhand.

This is huge! Good catch!

Slide Piece

Banned
Aug 12, 2014
Java

If you are adding a step to the ..Lets say unlock I/r drill. Would you emphasize release before the front leg is down? Or are you saying feel the weight back? Can you clarify the highlighted statement?

Thanks!

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Slide,

In the Pauly video you referenced for the pitching arm sequence, notice how Sarah's rear thigh is vertical to her torso... and then compare that to the still that Amy posted... her leg/knee is pinned to the ground. Given that, I'd emphasize a loose/tall posture that incorporates a light step... so that the rear thigh can get drawn forward.

At work... but I'll add some more in a couple hours... gotta run.

Welcome to the board, btw! Really look forward to hearing more from you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA