10u Player Daily Practice/Training Routine

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 17, 2023
So my daughter has come to me and asked me to help her come up with a daily practice schedule for her to do after school for both in season and off season. She is primarily a catcher on her travel team, but pitches some (starting pitcher in rec), plays LF and some third.

My problem: I am struggling with fitting in specific catcher conditioning and technique, continuing practice from pitching lessons, plus general fielding and and hitting. I either end up with a ridiculously long and unmanageable plan that she will never be able to do or I feel like things are getting spread to thin and things aren't getting enough attention.

Someone who has coached either their kids or others at this age, please give me some help. I'm experiencing a little paralysis by analysis.

Oct 26, 2019
Volume is the enemy of consistency. It’s not really important that she does “everything” or practices every aspect of the game. Keep it simple and something that she can realistically stick to. Master the art of “showing up” even if it’s just a little bit each day.

Feb 25, 2020
Get a batting cage in your backyard if at all possible.

Towny is right. Boil it down into like a 20 or 30 minute routine(at most). You can vary it. Throw(over and underhand), hands drills(and/or catcher stuff), hit. Add in a few longer ones every now and then depending on what she needs/isn't getting.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Is she going to be doing this routine by herself or with you? If she's by herself there's not a lot of choices. If you are going to be working with her then I would suggest picking one, or possibly two of those positions to work on for each day. Variety will help keep her interested and since she is so young that is important. Also, at this point I wouldn't be specializing unless you think one of those positions will be her primary spot. A daily practice should be fun and interesting at her age.

Oct 17, 2023
Yeah. I know. I am trying to get her 20-40 minute sessions designed that can be memorized fairly easily so that they can become more routine. I'm thinking about trying to come up with a couple different sessions to be alternated, maybe three. A Pitching/Fielding day, Catcher/batting, and general fielding/batting day. No more than 3-4 different drills.

Oct 17, 2023
Is she going to be doing this routine by herself or with you? If she's by herself there's not a lot of choices. If you are going to be working with her then I would suggest picking one, or possibly two of those positions to work on for each day. Variety will help keep her interested and since she is so young that is important. Also, at this point I wouldn't be specializing unless you think one of those positions will be her primary spot. A daily practice should be fun and interesting at her age.
Mostly with me. Or her brother. She has been asked to play catcher for her travel ball team so we are having to do some very specific work for that. She also relieves some on the mound when she isn't catching. She primarily pitches in rec ball. So there is definitely some specific work that needs to be done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles