Calling Pitches Philosophy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 30, 2013
I’ve been in this discussion or variations of it at least a thousand times over the last 20 years, and found that in order to determine which philosophy is best, some questions need to be answered 1st.

What is the main purpose of calling pitches? Some believe it to be the way to work to the batter’s weaknesses to get them out more effectively, but does that require anyone actually calling the pitches?

Think about a team you know well, and ask yourself what would happen if pitches weren’t called, which by definition means the pitcher can throw whatever she wants wherever she wants to throw it. What would the result be?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I’ve been in this discussion or variations of it at least a thousand times over the last 20 years, and found that in order to determine which philosophy is best, some questions need to be answered 1st.

What is the main purpose of calling pitches? Some believe it to be the way to work to the batter’s weaknesses to get them out more effectively, but does that require anyone actually calling the pitches?

Think about a team you know well, and ask yourself what would happen if pitches weren’t called, which by definition means the pitcher can throw whatever she wants wherever she wants to throw it. What would the result be?

Last question first - In the scenario you present, the pitches actually ARE being called - by the pitcher. The results of that scenario can't be predicted any better than you or I could predict the outcome if the coach or catcher was calling, with the exception that the results would be worse if the catcher was not somehow informed what pitch was going to be thrown.

No one would argue that the purpose of pitching is to get the opposing hitters out. In principle, some may argue that the best way to get outs is by strike out while others will argue that its by getting them to put the ball in play weakly and letting the defense make the outs. In reality, it comes down to some combination of the two with the mix being pitcher dependent and falling somewhere between those 2 endpoints. However, regardless of what that mix is for each pitcher, it requires that the pitcher make the hitter swing and miss or swing and make non-ideal contact. The way to do that IMO is consistent with the the old adage "hitting is about timing the pitcher and pitching is about disrupting hitters' timing". Pitch calling simply is the attempt to implement that strategy and get batters out in a game setting.

So, getting batters out under game conditions. The pitcher, whose capabilities are best known to the defensive team, also and most importantly, is the only variable controlled by the defense so, IMO, it logically makes the most sense to favor working off a pitcher's strengths rather than a batter's weaknesses, which may or may not be well known. Under the circumstance where no one person actually calls pitches (i.e., pitches are randomly generated by a computer/app and then passed on to the battery), the pitch calling would be truly unpredictable, but it would be done in a vacuum and not take into account pitcher strengths, batter weaknesses, umpire zone, game situation, defense abilities/configuration, field conditions etc etc. So, we introduce the human element to calling pitches for better or worse. Who calls better? Who calls worse? I have my opinion. YMMV

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

That one is easy. EPIC FAIL!!!

Feb 3, 2011
Big egos and insecurity are always strange bedfellows. It's my opinion and deeply-held belief that the game belongs to the players and not to the parents, umpires, or coaches. As coaches, one of our main jobs is to teach them to play it well, which includes helping them to understand ways to be successful in their jobs.

That belief influences both my coaching philosophy and my philosophy as the parent of a young student-athlete. That philosophy is not shared by the majority of the softball coaches in my area, though. Go to any game locally and there's a greater than 95% chance that you'll see a coach in the dugout waving their little fingers in some misguided effort to demonstrate their genius. It's always good for a laugh.

Capable catchers should call pitches, but they only become capable by being given that opportunity by the coaches who get it. But that doesn't mean coaches are not involved in managing the defensive side of the game at all, as I think coaches SHOULD be responsible for setting the defense based on what they expect a batter to do at the plate in a given situation. The catcher isn't responsible for telling the RF to cheat a few steps towards center.

I gave my catchers the game in 10u rec. It was 10u for crying out loud and, as an unpaid volunteer, my livelihood wasn't dependent on their success or failure. I charted the games and would relay information to the catcher and pitcher to use as they saw fit.

Sep 30, 2013
Last question first - In the scenario you present, the pitches actually ARE being called - by the pitcher. The results of that scenario can't be predicted any better than you or I could predict the outcome if the coach or catcher was calling, with the exception that the results would be worse if the catcher was not somehow informed what pitch was going to be thrown.

You pretty much hit on what I was taught waaaaay back when. I was taught the main reason for calling pitches is to get the P and the C on the same page, especially with runners on base.

…Pitch calling simply is the attempt to implement that strategy and get batters out in a game setting.

Agreed

So, getting batters out under game conditions. The pitcher, whose capabilities are best known to the defensive team, also and most importantly, is the only variable controlled by the defense so, IMO, it logically makes the most sense to favor working off a pitcher's strengths rather than a batter's weaknesses, which may or may not be well known. Under the circumstance where no one person actually calls pitches (i.e., pitches are randomly generated by a computer/app and then passed on to the battery), the pitch calling would be truly unpredictable, but it would be done in a vacuum and not take into account pitcher strengths, batter weaknesses, umpire zone, game situation, defense abilities/configuration, field conditions etc etc. So, we introduce the human element to calling pitches for better or worse. Who calls better? Who calls worse? I have my opinion. YMMV

Once we’ve established that the main purpose of calling pitches is communication, either between the pitcher and catcher or to let the defense in on what’s being called to give them a half-step whenever possible, I think you’re correct about working to a pitcher’s strengths rather a batters’ weaknesses. Now if you’re talking about having all the data they have in MLB with the best pitchers in the world, that changes things a bit, but the pitcher’s strengths still have to be utmost in the mind of whoever’s calling the pitches.

IMHO, if the choice of whose calling pitches is the pitcher, catcher, or coach, I say unless the catcher is a dolt, that will always be the best choice, and the coach the worst. But the difference in the result is only a matter of a very small degree. Of course that’s because especially at amateur levels I don’t think the pitchers can execute all that well or the hitters can take that much advantage of a mistake, so the pitch and location called isn’t a matter of drop-dead importance. ;)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You may well be correct, but then again you may well be wrong. The only way to find out is to do a blind test, but don’t hold your breath for that one.

It is not pretty when the catcher has no clue what is coming or where it is headed. You have seen how a catcher reacts when a pitcher completely misses their spot. Now imagine that on every pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA