Even the losers are happy in college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
My daughter takes grief from teammates and coaches for not being sad or upset enough about a loss. As if pouting or slamming a helmet or something will change the outcome. Meh

Jul 5, 2016
But it's not a team sport. How much or how little you cheer has no impact on the event's outcome.

Imagine if it were golf. "Well, Suzy can't shoot 5 under par unless we cheer and sing to her non-stop during the match."

Talent wins 9 out of 10 times and it has nothing to do with how well they sing (or don't).
It might not be a team sport, but I can tell you as the father of a pitcher, my favorite games were the ones where the team was firing on all cylinders and making good defensive plays. You know it picks up the pitcher when the defense has her back and the offense is putting up some runs.

Edited to add, my daughter played on some teams with good chemistry and some teams with no chemistry and it made a huge difference. I am sure it cost at least two tournament wins and maybe more.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
It's been said a few times in this thread, but there's a difference between cheering and the orchestrated songs and dances in the dugout.

My DD doesn't care for the songs and chants and hasn't been on a team that does those since first year of 12u (including high school). That doesn't mean those teams didn't cheer. All of those teams have been active throughout the game cheering for teammates and encouraging when needed. I actually prefer this also, but I'm just a grumpy old man.

A couple of years ago I was at a 10u rec game watching a friends kid play. They had a couple of girls on their team that had just started playing 10c comp ball. Those girls came back with chants. They taught the other girls on this team a few of the chants. These girls all fell in love with one particular one and started doing it for every girl on their team that came up to bat. I'm not sure how I kept my sanity hearing the same cheer over and over again for an hour, but the girls were having fun and thought it was cool so who am I to judge?

Jun 8, 2016
the "not a team sport" nonsense still makes me shake my head
The “Do Your Job” mantra comes to mind. Whether or not Sally cheering for me helps me hit a curve on the black (sorry..in the river) or make a play in the 5-6 hole is debatable. That said my pitcher does need me to hit in order for her efforts in the circle to be rewarded so from that aspect, sure, it is a team sport.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
Little confused here. Are we advocating for pouting, crying, and whining in the dugout? If nothing else i'd rather my team be positive even in the face of defeat as opposed to sitting there with frowns or acting like they don't give a **.
Hah this sounds like a comeback from my 5 year old. Sports are supposed to be competitive and not a bunch of goofing around when you miss an easy out or a dugout full of high fives on a strike out. Honestly i think they are just playing for a free ride and hanging out with girlfriends, there is very little examples of girls who really want to win and take it seriously. Hope that helped explain it but if not then maybe ask your kid and he can tell you.

Feb 15, 2017
To the person who says the best talent wins nine out of ten times, the Dallas Cowboys agree to differ..

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi