Even the losers are happy in college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
If you opinion is that it is OK for players to sit quietly on the bench while their teammates are playing, I disagree.
- It is still a team sport - support your team
- If you're going to sit quietly by yourself when you're not playing, you might as well not be in the dugout
- Who says your going to automatically bring the energy when it is your turn
- Do you want your team to encourage you when your turn is up? Do you want them to celebrate your successes? Then do it for them too.
- Starters have been kicked off of D1 teams for bad attitude - addition by subtraction they call it
- IMO College coaches don't go to games to gage your skill nearly as much as to see your engagement with the game and your teammates
- It's darn hard to hit a moving sphere with a cylinder squarely - you need all the support you can get
- Have you seen bench players for college BB teams? Their are definitely not sitting there quietly thinking about themselves.
- If you want to quietly support your team from afar - play golf.

Sorry if too blunt, but I believe the cheering and chanting is part of what makes softball softball. And you see coaches comment on it all the time - that they want their players vocally engaged.

Aug 5, 2022
If you opinion is that it is OK for players to sit quietly on the bench while their teammates are playing, I disagree.
- If you're going to sit quietly by yourself when you're not playing, you might as well not be in the dugout
- Do you want your team to encourage you when your turn is up? Do you want them to celebrate your successes? Then do it for them too.
- Starters have been kicked off of D1 teams for bad attitude - addition by subtraction they call it
- IMO College coaches don't go to games to gage your skill nearly as much as to see your engagement with the game and your teammates
- It's darn hard to hit a moving sphere with a cylinder squarely - you need all the support you can get
- Have you seen bench players for college BB teams? Their are definitely not sitting there quietly thinking about themselves.

Sorry if too blunt, but I believe the cheering and chanting is part of what makes softball softball. And you see coaches comment on it all the time - that they want their players vocally engaged.

Cheering for sure I can do without organized sing song chanting and so can my kid. She definitely watched dug outs as she evaluated colleges to find one who’s cheering fit her style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Seems like college softball is the only sport where the losing team is smiling, dancing around the dugout and acting silly even when down 10-0. I don’t understand the lack of seriousness and the desire to win at that level. I see girls making throwing errors, striking out and in the dugout they’re all smiles and singing songs. So bizarre!
Your post, sir, is but a humbug.

May 17, 2012

But it's not a team sport. How much or how little you cheer has no impact on the event's outcome.

Imagine if it were golf. "Well, Suzy can't shoot 5 under par unless we cheer and sing to her non-stop during the match."

Talent wins 9 out of 10 times and it has nothing to do with how well they sing (or don't).

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
My team has batters that feel comfortable and perform better at bat when the dugout is loud, and others who don’t want the distraction. My players know who fits in each category and adjust their volume and cheering style accordingly. In general there is a pretty clear correlation (regardless of whether we are winning or losing) between cheering activity in our dugout and focus and performance on the field. Who knows what the cause and effect relationship might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I think the cheering thing, when required by coaches, speaks to the want to "control" things in a game where coaches have little control of what happens.

In the end, I don't care much either way. The softball "career" is short. If some players want to be silly and enjoy their time around each other whether it's 10-0 or 0-10, let them. There's enough negative things they have to deal with around the game and overall in life.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi