Calling Pitches Philosophy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Unfortunately most TB/HS stats are fairly useless. They are typically inaccurate and the competition is often far too diverse to yield meaningful results.

Probably true when trying to compare one team to another. However, I think it is valid to compare the players on the same team to each other. All players on the same team play the same competition. Now it does get a little sticky when half the team has at bats on one pitcher and the other half has at bats on a different pitcher.

Sep 30, 2013
Don't hate stats. They certainly serve a purpose. What coaches dislike is parents with half baked stats voicing their "informed" opinions on why their DD should be pitching most of the games and hitting lead off. As someone said "He will say that his DD sleeps better than anyone else on the team." :)

What makes you believe I don’t dislike that myself? But rather than doing nothing about it, what I do try to inform and educate our players, parents, and even the coaches, about how to look at the numbers as objectively as possible. More than once over the years, when we run into an especially problematic parent, I’ll print off many different stats with no player names and try to get those parents to pick out their kids. It can be a very rude awakening.

Then too, in the team environment I score in, there is absolutely no one who has the depth of data that I do. So since I make everything available all the time, there’s no secret stats the Joey’s dad keeps that prove anything everyone doesn’t already know.

Another “issue” with zealous parents is, no one has told them how decisions are being made. How many times has everyone heard some coach say he was gonna put the 9 “best” hitters in the lineup, then never tell anyone how he determines who the best hitters are? When that happens, everybody’s idea of what “best” is becomes the truth. So if one kids dad’s idea of what determines the best hitters is batting average, and his kid is 4 for 8 and those hits are all swinging bunts with 2 outs late in the game against weak pitchers, he’s gonna be PO’d if there are 5 kids in the lineup who only are batting .300 - .400.

People need context and information, not just some coach getting angry because he’s being bothered.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What makes you believe I don’t dislike that myself? But rather than doing nothing about it, what I do try to inform and educate our players, parents, and even the coaches, about how to look at the numbers as objectively as possible. More than once over the years, when we run into an especially problematic parent, I’ll print off many different stats with no player names and try to get those parents to pick out their kids. It can be a very rude awakening.

Then too, in the team environment I score in, there is absolutely no one who has the depth of data that I do. So since I make everything available all the time, there’s no secret stats the Joey’s dad keeps that prove anything everyone doesn’t already know.

Another “issue” with zealous parents is, no one has told them how decisions are being made. How many times has everyone heard some coach say he was gonna put the 9 “best” hitters in the lineup, then never tell anyone how he determines who the best hitters are? When that happens, everybody’s idea of what “best” is becomes the truth. So if one kids dad’s idea of what determines the best hitters is batting average, and his kid is 4 for 8 and those hits are all swinging bunts with 2 outs late in the game against weak pitchers, he’s gonna be PO’d if there are 5 kids in the lineup who only are batting .300 - .400.

People need context and information, not just some coach getting angry because he’s being bothered.

Nothing. How did you read that into it?

Sep 30, 2013
Nothing. How did you read that into it?

I don't have a clue what 'nothing' means.

How did I read what into what?

I’m sorry that I don’t understand your shorthand. If I just guess at what you’re talking about and am wrong, I come across as some kind of jerk picking on someone for no reason.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA