Asking for help again!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
28i6ohw.jpg

That's a pretty great gif to see the missing frames/the overlap. The lateral tilt and rearward turning barrel causing the "extra stretch" that eludes most hitters....
Gears.gif

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
PC - IMO the exaggerated leg kick and hand pump have served their purposes - she now knows the feel and sync she is after. If it were my DD, I'd simplify things and scale those movements back and make it easier to focus on the other aspects of the swing that need work. I know its just style, but I think its holding her back
PS - she's much closer to the goal than she was not very long ago, but there is no corner, its still basically a push
PPS - off-speed will be her demise unless she's planning to just play slow pitch softball

Agreed! Sometimes it's better to strip things down to plain vanilla when learning different feels/movements/patterns. Once that has been achieved, add back your personal style or what you feel comfortable with.

Same can be said for momentum. Learn how to create power in a phone booth first, add momentum back and you can be on your way.....

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC - IMO the exaggerated leg kick and hand pump have served their purposes - she now knows the feel and sync she is after. If it were my DD, I'd simplify things and scale those movements back and make it easier to focus on the other aspects of the swing that need work. I know its just style, but I think its holding her back
PS - she's much closer to the goal than she was not very long ago, but there is no corner, its still basically a push
PPS - off-speed will be her demise unless she's planning to just play slow pitch softball

Thx Again GM

As you know I'm not as vested as most in "theSwing".... just having fun with it this fall. She played up, & lead team in hitting for average & power, this summer, with just the concept I connected in your "Check~Swing" thread... long ago...

She isn't as anal about it, because she does lotz of other things very well...
so SEE the BALL... HIT the BALL & be a gamer is the terms... :{))

I'm equally interested in the teaching technique. Not wanting to hi-jack... and not interested in starting a corner thread. The geometry is counter intuitive to me... JMHO. Since it came up, thought I'd ask for the OP... almost sure he doesn't find the term that helpful... right now anyways.

I do know the source of this teaching... Its not Williams, Lau, Epstein, Yeager, English-B.... or "B-English" Like I say it...LOL

PS: Yes, you should see my post in "Discuss SlowPitch Softball" I'm the ONLY one with video analysis...LOL... She does love going down to the park for Adult Co-Ed slow pitch games & putting it on the BigBoyz... (Her Boyfriend & his Dad) Rule is... over the fence...200' is just double for Boyz... LOL....while I drink some adult beverages :cool:

PSS: The exaggerated leg kick (in Pitching)= Drive
The hand pump (in Pitching)=Absolute (for her)... Ball & Glove brought back past the hip in pre-motion or winedup

PSS: My disappointment in that clip, is still in the Feet~First area. She's not transferring weight back to heel on back foot, and not
landing on heel of front foot, then moving up to toes @ the crack, then scrolling over with follow thru. I guess I'll call it
"Running the Stop Sign" not getting good double front side resistance...LOL :cool:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'll try again... just remembered "turning the U" by: Howe... Corner would be Frame 19... Right ???

<video width="312" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Hitting%20Fall/Kemp_3%25_FC_HB.mp4" />
</video>

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
I'd say 21-23 you can see him launching from behind his corner.....At frame 20 the swing can go either way. He continues to pullback, laterally tilts and launches the barrel rearward (load into the unload) creating the corner in frames 21 & 22....

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd say 21-23 you can see him launching from behind his corner.....At frame 20 the swing can go either way. He continues to pullback, laterally tilts and launches the barrel rearward (load into the unload) creating the corner in frames 21 & 22....

I will add that the corner is "directional". Your body turns, tilts, etc. in order to find the ideal position to launch the barrel towards the ball. For those that like searching older threads, lookup Centrifugal vs Centripetal.

34zypfn.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
These visuals should help.....

TexCorner_zps6wtsafhe.gif

Creating a corner

TexCornerWhip_zpspdys4k02.gif

Whipping the barrel around the corner

IMG_5043_zpsdujyz7sy.gif

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Although it's use/mis-use can be problematic, the whip it training device helped my DD get the barrel launch feel. You can't push a rope, particularly not against a pitching machine.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi