1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Update. Game swings are still sloppy. Alot of being late, then trying to correct. Still popping out of stance and early elbow slot with no barrel action. This is one video that i think she did a good job of sitting on the changeup though. Still slotted elbow before launch, so normal for her. Outfield was a 290 fence and we had been pelting them so outfielder sitting deep caught for an out. Still solid contact.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
After weekend, worked on better elbow slotting and trying to get better posture. 2 examples of tee swings, first is a tee farther out but not as good posture shows getting jammed with less power (though both are not full speed swings, just trying to get the feel.)

Second is where the tee is actually deeper and she has better posture IMO and is able to get some extension and whip into contact. Starting to feel the effortless power.

Edit: actually when viewing side by side, she just gets better release and extension in the second and isn't pulling rotationally around body before and after contact.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
After weekend, worked on better elbow slotting and trying to get better posture. 2 examples of tee swings, first is a tee farther out but not as good posture shows getting jammed with less power (though both are not full speed swings, just trying to get the feel.)

Second is where the tee is actually deeper and she has better posture IMO and is able to get some extension and whip into contact. Starting to feel the effortless power.

Edit: actually when viewing side by side, she just gets better release and extension in the second and isn't pulling rotationally around body before and after contact.

Some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
How are you trying to accomplish that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gotcha. She's just had issues pulling the elbow thru first. Gonna work on the J Stone progressions as well tonight hopefully.

There was a gif of a girl in college, i think it was a red and white team, who throttled a home run and she had a huge core move before she hit. I think it was last years world series, can't remember. Been looking for that to use as an example. Does it sound familiar? Was a righty.

May 12, 2016

I and know you are isolating and keeping things simple, but in the 2nd swing especially it looks to me like the hands and elbow are getting pushed down and through and not pulled. Again I understand you are working on preventing from dragging the hands through.. just something you might want to watch out for as she progresses. JMHO, I could be in the minority here.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I and know you are isolating and keeping things simple, but in the 2nd swing especially it looks to me like the hands and elbow are getting pushed down and through and not pulled. Again I understand you are working on preventing from dragging the hands through.. just something you might want to watch out for as she progresses. JMHO, I could be in the minority here.
i agree with you. There is some of that for sure.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
i still kinda think the slot happens when the core fires. I do think that she is still spinning on the back leg. Take that away and i think the swings looks totally different. Dont fire the hips, but i dont see the benefit to leave the hands and arms behind. Fire all cylinders.

May 12, 2016
i still kinda think the slot happens when the core fires. I do think that she is still spinning on the back leg. Take that away and i think the swings looks totally different. Dont fire the hips, but i dont see the benefit to leave the hands and arms behind. Fire all cylinders.
I agree as well.. IMO her sequence is not bad, but any tension that is created during the FYB is lost when she gives up the back foot.. I just learning right along here with you FB :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414